Ostomy Fashion: Dressing Post-Surgery Dilemma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for dressing stylishly and comfortably after ostomy surgery.
History2u
Reply to Dlynn

I wear the same clothes as always, not a problem. Four months in and jeans, shorts, dress slacks, whatever is needed for work or relaxing. Jeans are a bit "heavy" but I live in SoCal and it's been a warm year.

Joe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

noticehappythings20
Reply to Dlynn

Some of my patients really like the Stealth Belt. It conceals the pouch. See image. :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vollovr

Hi Deanna, for 37 years I have worn the same clothes that the general public wears. I wear everything I wore prior to surgery (ileostomy). I wear stretchy panties that cover my pouch and they hold it in securely. When I had surgery in 1984, my ostomy visitor was a pretty college student who came into my hospital room wearing form-fitting white Levi's! I was so surprised and impressed, thinking, "Hey, if she can do it, I can!" She was petite, about the same size as me, 5'1" and 102 lbs.

Artsy Lady
Reply to Dlynn

Hi!

I have had my ostomy for 4 years. Most of my regular clothes still work. But I've mostly worn jeans that sit just below my waist and just above my ostomy. I also limit myself to longer and looser tops.

I have found underwear that works great for me made by Jockey.

They have a wide 4" spandex waistband that holds my bag tightly against my body without binding or causing "muffin top". You can find them at Walmart.

I too wore loose stretchy pants for a long time as I am a caretaker for my mom and don't need to leave the house for work. I now suspect that the lack of support may have led to my hernia growing. Maybe ask your nurse about that.