Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Clothes

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 pm

Dlynn wrote:

My stoma is a little lower than my belly button. Since I'm home still, I have just been wearing a day shirt and or jammie shorts. 
I did have an appointment the other day and I wore elastic waistband that was below my stoma. That was comfortable. 
Deanna

I wear the same clothes as always, not a problem. Four months in and jeans, shorts, dress slacks, whatever is needed for work or relaxing. Jeans are a bit "heavy" but I live in SoCal and its been a warm year.

Joe

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 am

Dlynn wrote:

My stoma is a little lower than my belly button. Since I'm home still, I have just been wearing a day shirt and or jammie shorts. 
I did have an appointment the other day and I wore elastic waistband that was below my stoma. That was comfortable. 
Deanna

Some of my patients really like the Stealth Belt.  It conceals the pouch.  See image. :)

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi Deanna, for 37 years I have worn same clothes general public wears.I wear everything I wore prior to surgery(ileostomy). I wear stretchy panties that cover my pouch and they hold it in securely. When I had surgery in 1984 my ostomy visitor was a pretty college student that came into my hospital room wearing form fitting white Levi's! I was so surprised and impressed thinking hey if she can do it I can! She was petite about the same size as me, 5'1", 102 lbs. 

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Dlynn wrote:

Thank you Terry, I have my 40 year high school reunion this weekend and was wondering what to wear that would be comfortable and undetectable of my bag. I do like the idea of a Spanx, that way I could wear a comfortable dress and not worry about anything around my waist. 😁

Hi! 

I have had my ostomy for 4 years. Most of my regular clothes still work. But I've mostly worn jeans that sit just below my waist and just above my ostomy. I also limit myself to longer and looser tops.

I have found underwear that works great for me made by Jockey.

They have a wide 4" spandex waist band that holds my bag tightly against my body without binding or causing " muffin top". You can find them at Walmart. 

I too wore loose stretchy pants for a long time as I am a caretaker for my mom and don't need to leave the house for work. I now suspect that the lack of support may have lead to my hernia growing. Maybe ask your nuse about that.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.