Concerns about Lower Abdominal Discomfort and Ileostomy

Replies
Views
marianmallon43

Hi, is it normal to have lower abdominal discomfort? I have had an ileostomy since March 2021 with a feeling of pressure and wanting to open my bowels via the anus?

Caz67

If it's discomfort, it could be mucus which is very common passing it from your backside, which can sometimes happen again. However, if it's painful and not going away, then I would advise you to speak to your GP and would be worth getting in touch with your stoma nurse just for a check-up. Let us know how you get on. Good luck xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

marianmallon43
Reply to Caz67

Thank you. I haven't passed any mucus, but I will go for a check-up. I will let you know how it goes. I used to live in the UK 20 years ago. I now live in New Zealand. Take care and stay safe.

Caz67

Good, glad you're getting advice. So jealous that you live there. Lol, bloody raining and cold here just for a change. XX

ron in mich

Hi Marian, is your output the same as before the belly pain or is it less? And that is when I would seek medical care. Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ritz

Marian.... When I first had my ileostomy and anal resection (at the same time), the surgeon also closed my inside abdominal cavity since I had a complete hysterectomy prior. This prevented what he called organ dropping. I had much pain in my lower gut for months to come. If you're still passing your food normally, it could just be the healing process inside, but I'm one of those scared people and called my surgeon and visited the Ostomy clinic and reached out as you have.
Better to check with your doctor, but I had those pains you're describing and after 2 years still get the feeling I need to poop normally even though I can't. It's a psycho thing I'm told.
Good luck and feel better, Ritz

PS... I'm not an assh*** anymore, I'm a bag lady. Welcome to the group

Bill

Hello Marianmallon.

I am tempted to reply with the question: 'What's normal ? ' as not much about stomas and associated conditions seems to be 'normal'. However, Just to put the anal discomfort into some sort of perspective; I had it worst in the first couple of years. this was usually caused by mucus build-up and was relieved whe the mucus was expelled. Years later I still get a similar sensation - but now I believe it is probably due to an anal prolapse, which is what I suffered from before the stoma operation. Who knows what causes these things? and without a proper and thorough investigation by a competent medic, we are into the guessing game.  My own theory is that my guesses are often just as good as theirs'. Therefore, I try to avoid 'troubling' them with this sort of stuff until it becomes unbearable. Of course, then it can be too late(or that's what they tend to tell me!) 

The general concensus is usually to seek help if you can't fix it yourself. 

Best wishes

Bill  

lovely

I never knew until I found this site that the rectum produces mucus to help with bowel movement. Even after an ostomy if you have a stump left, it still produces mucus. If it builds up and gets hard, it will cause pain. I had a build-up and when I finally passed it, it is just clear mucus now.