Need advice for painful stoma skin - seeking solutions!

Replies
Views
frjaldomr

I've had my stoma for about 10 months now. Over the months, I have had some issues with skin irritation right at the edge of the stoma, but for the last month or so, the skin at the bottom of the stoma has been extremely irritated and painful. Every time I change my pouch, I put Neosporin on the area. When I empty my bag, I clean it with soap and I add foaming Neosporin and rub it around the affected area. I have started changing my bag more frequently. Nothing seems to work, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm wondering if a product like Marathon would be helpful. Curious if anybody else has dealt with this and found a working solution.

Thanks

Past Member

The same happened to me. After researching, I found out it is caused by some kind of fungus. I used antifungal (jock itch) powder spray. It worked for me. It takes about 3-6 weeks to see the effects.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Are you getting output sitting on your skin?

patrickrichardson1946

What does your stoma nurse/professional say?

frjaldomr
Reply to AlexT

I think some. I have been trying to cut the hole as small as I can and pull it up snug right under my stoma to protect the area.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
frjaldomr
Reply to Anonymous

What research led you to the conclusion that it was fungal?

Past Member
Reply to frjaldomr

I googled the problem. Try this site: https://farmoderm.it/en/peristomal-skin-irritation/

TerryLT

Painful, irritated skin at the base of the stoma is a pretty common problem, and there are several ways to deal with it. You don't mention whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy, but irritated skin is more common with an ileo as your output is more caustic. Cutting the hole to the right size is important, but it might not be enough. There are products made specifically to combat irritated skin, barrier rings, and paste. All the major ostomy manufacturers carry the barrier rings. You put it around your stoma before applying your appliance, same with the paste. It prevents output from getting onto your peristomal skin. I would not be using Neosporin on the skin around your stoma, as it will prevent your appliance from sticking properly and output will find it much easier to get on your skin. You need very dry skin for the appliance to stick properly. If your skin is already irritated, the appliance won't stick properly to that area either and there are products to combat that too. Look into No Sting Skin Prep and Stoma powder. You use the skin prep on the irritated area along with the stoma powder and it forms a dry barrier to let your appliance stick better. You could try that first before buying the barrier rings. That might be enough, as long as you have cut your hole well. I don't know what appliance you are using but there are also some that have Ceramide infused into the flange that will help protect your skin. I know Hollister and Coloplast both make one. There is lots of info about this whole subject on this site, as it's been covered many times in the past. Try clicking on Premium Content and I'm sure you will find a topic to read that will give you lots more helpful suggestions. Good luck!

Terry

frjaldomr
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking into barrier rings and no-sting skin prep today. I'm thinking I'm cutting the hole too big. I'm going to try cutting the hole tight and, for now, using the skin prep I have all around the stoma, which is going to be quite painful. I'll order some no-sting and probably some barrier rings as well. Thank you.

Morning glory

Hi Terry covered the subject pretty well.

Bill

I too like Terry's reply.

If it turns out to be fungal - try althetes foot powder. it always works for me.

Best wishes

Bill

Beachie
Reply to Anonymous

Ask a doctor for Nystatin powder. Works within a few days.

Panko

Hi, the only time my skin around my stoma was a bit red and angry, my stoma nurse took a swab and rang me a few days later.

To say it was caused by a fungus and told me to use Canestan cream, it went within days! I use it at least once a week as a prevention rather than cure.

Also, a lady friend I know with an ileostomy swears by laying down after a shower or bath, taking the bag off, cleaning the stoma, then applying chamomile lotion and letting it dry completely before putting the bag back on again.

AlexT
Reply to Panko

I think one of the best things you can do is let your skin air out for a while when you change your bag. I know it's almost impossible for some because of constant output but it sure seems to help my skin. I take my bag off and clean the skin, go lay down for 15 minutes or so, shave my stomach hairs, wipe the area off again, go lay down for another 15 minutes or so, and then I apply powder if need be and wipe the area with a barrier wipe, then apply my barrier ring and bag.

Panko

I recently changed to Hollister convexed ceraplus urostomy bags from Coloplast convexed, which leaked most days!
Even bending down to pick up your keys or tie your shoe laces, they were a nightmare bag tbh. These Hollister bags

have never leaked since I've used them with the Coloplast bra tape extenders or "bingo wings" as I call them.

The fungal thing is caused by a yeast infection, my stoma nurse told me. It's a bit like what a lot of women get down below in the "under carriage" department?

frjaldomr

I took Terry's advice and quit using the Neosporin. I put the skin prep I already had directly on the affected area as well as all around the base of my stoma. I cut the hole so it fit really tight right up against the stoma. Immediately everything got better. It's been a little over a week with a couple of bag changes and the irritation at the bottom of my stoma is completely gone. I think Neosporin was the culprit as far as making the irritation worse, obviously coupled with the fact that I was cutting the hole too big to begin with. Just today I got in some Coloplast barrier ring samples and they also sent me some Brava skin cleanser, both of which I have yet to try.

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded.

AlexT

Good to hear.

mikamouse

Hello,

I'm 12 months in, so we are about at the same place! But I found that I now use this! I spray it on a cotton bandage and just hit right on the areas that need it. Otherwise, it can interfere with your appliance sticking! It has made a huge difference for me!

frjaldomr
Reply to mikamouse

Yeah, I guess I need to find out if it's fungal or not. I'm 3 hours away from my surgeon so I don't go in unless I really need to. I did try those Brava wipes from Coloplast. The guy at Coloplast told me I could wipe the area and then put skin prep right on top after it had dried. I did this and it really burned. Not sure if I'll be using those again.

Xlshrimp
Reply to frjaldomr

This has caused me some discomfort and irritation at times, getting the right size barrier cut, dry in position perfectly helped. Could be a different brand/model of appliance may seal better for your stoma location. I wear Hollister with the belt loops, it couldn't last a few days without a belt; uncomfortable but I got used to it.

frjaldomr
Reply to Xlshrimp

I use a ConvaTec pouch with a tape collar. I've had really good luck with adhesion, I think I just got lazy when cutting the hole. I cut the hole too large for quite a few months without any problems. Apparently those days are over.

mikamouse
Reply to AlexT

Sounds like my route minus the shave! I blow dry my hair and do my makeup. Put hot water on, then I lay down to do my prep work! I thought I was the only one who did that. I cannot stand to do it, I prefer using the adjustable bed back I have puts me in the perfect position!

AlexT
Reply to mikamouse

I'm glad you don't have to shave your stomach.

Pooter

Try using compound tincture of benzoin for skin irritation.

steveonwheelz
Reply to frjaldomr

Hi, I am still new to this thing. I have had a stoma for about 2 years now, so forgive me, but I have had horrible skin issues and now I'm much better.

What really helped me with irritation was Get Domeboro Solution – it is over the counter and is a powder. You mix it into water per the instructions. When you change your pouch, soak the area with Domeboro-moist cloths/dressings/etc. This would work best if you could soak for 10 minutes.

Also, if you have a fungal problem, pick up an antifungal lotion or cream – NOT an ointment. A lotion or cream will soak in and not interfere with adhesion – an ointment is based in Vaseline.