Yoga with an Ileostomy: Tips and Experiences?

Replies
Views
Beachie

Has anyone tried doing yoga with an ileostomy?

Past Member

Everyday.

No issues.

I follow Coach Vigue on YouTube.

Good channel for guys.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mikamouse

I do Pilates and Pilates mat with some yoga moves... been doing it since March! My surgery was Dec 2020.

But I now have a parastomal hernia, so doctors' orders, I had to order some support hernia belts to do my exercises in.

Past Member

Having an ileostomy has not kept me from doing anything. Not only have I done yoga, I have traveled around the world with my ileostomy. Actually, my ileostomy gave me my life back. Convatec, the company that makes the product I use, made a video of me. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1KP5wpWugARBh6lb9Zb2mIajMmvEtHh/view

I don't talk about yoga but I do talk about all the traveling I did. Having an ileostomy gave me my life back. The only thing I cannot do is wear a bikini because of the location of my stoma.

Phyllis Rovner

Past Member

Hi :) Elaine O'Rourke has YouTube videos on doing yoga with an ostomy. :)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
lovely

I can't get the video to load for some reason. I found another way to load it. Thanks for sharing

UCsurvivor

I have done yoga, extreme workouts, I also swim sitting in the hot tub, and do most anything I could do prior to my surgery. I have an ileostomy and it's going on 7 years now. If my quality of life is much better than it was when I had Crohn's. I live a full and satisfying life and have no real issues with the ostomy. Best of luck to you. I hope you enjoy yoga. Namaste.

tibbie

I've been doing yoga or Pilates mostly every day since September 2020 and haven't had any issues with my approximately 20-year-old ileostomy. There have definitely been a number of benefits to my physical and mental health since starting though :) I was extremely nervous the first time I went to an in-person class because I foresaw all sorts of problems, but none of them happened. Now I just follow a few different people from YouTube and stay home. I haven't found a pose I can't do yet because of my ileostomy, just a lot of poses I can't do yet for other reasons lol.

Past Member

I have done in class (before pandemic), and at home lying yoga (due to scoliosis, not colostomy!) since. Not an issue! I also meditate since pandemic! Everything helps!

Ebony&Ivory

RRYOGAROOM.com - Yoga with Zalinda

Yoga for bigger bodies: I don't have a bigger body, but I'm a senior and new to yoga, so it's challenging enough to get you started.

Personally, I believe you can do whatever exercises you enjoy, just use common sense. Don't strain your abs or do heavy weights. By the way, I'm not a medical person, so by all means, talk to your doctor first.

E I

mikamouse
Reply to Ebony&Ivory

Right, this is why I mentioned I now have a parastomal hernia and doctors' orders had to stop Pilates... temporarily until I get a belt for support because my tummy has been painful. Just get the OK from your doctor before doing anything like that.

Beachie
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you

Phil0110

Yeah, I also do yoga and meditation, and I usually use YouTube videos.