Puffy white wax ring: Normal or alarming?

Replies
Views
riffael

A newly-changed wafer/bag/wax ring matched fairly exactly to the wafer cutout:
Often this produces a bit of a 'puffy' white wax ring protruding above the wafer. Is this normal/acceptable/alarming?
I'm starting to think I need to use double rings. I generally do feel a bit of burning under my stoma, and see a thin bit of brown around it.
Thanks,
Riff

AlexT

So you're using a two-piece bag? I presume you mean the white puffy stuff is between your stoma and the edge of your bag cutout?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Moisture turns the edge of the cut-out ring white. Is that what you mean?

riffael
Reply to AlexT

Yes, exactly.

AlexT
Reply to riffael

Pretty sure that's just your barrier ring reacting to moisture as it swells to fill in any little gap. I use a one-piece and I'll have that same thing sometimes if I don't get the size just perfect or the barrier ring is not perfectly flush with the bag cutout and some gets "squished between your bag and stoma....if that makes sense. I've never noticed any less wear time or issues.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
riffael

Please help me define our terms.
Barrier ring = the wax ring?
Wafer = the adhesive cloth and the plastic disc that sits around the stoma, cut to size?
Is this correct?

AlexT
Reply to riffael

If using a two-piece system, to me that's correct. If using a one-piece system, you'd have the barrier (wax) ring and then your bag that has the wafer (sticky stuff) already attached.