Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

What's it mean?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:32 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

A newly-changed wafer/bag/wax ring matched fairly exactly to the wafer cutout:
Often this produces a bit of a ‘puffy’ white wax ring protruding above the wafer. Is this normal/acceptable/alarming?
I’m starting to think I need to use double rings. I generally do feel a bit of burning under my stoma, and see a thin bit of brown around it.
Thanks, 
Riff

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:45 pm

So you're using a 2 piece bag? I presume you mean the white puffy stuff is between your stoma and the edge of your bag cutout? 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:03 pm

Moisture turns the edge of of the cut out ring white. Is that what you mean?

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:29 pm

AlexT wrote:

So you're using a 2 piece bag? I presume you mean the white puffy stuff is between your stoma and the edge of your bag cutout? 

Yes, exactly.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:44 pm

riffael wrote:

Yes, exactly.

Pretty sure that's just your barrier ring reacting to moisture as it swells to fill in any little gap. I use a 1 piece and I'll have that same thing sometimes if I don't get the size just perfect or the barrier ring is not perfectly flush with the bag cutout and some gets "squished between your bag and stoma....if that makes sense. 🤔 😁 I've never noticed any less wear time or issues.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 pm

Please help me define our terms.
Barrier ring = the wax ring?
Wafer = the adhesive cloth and the plastic disc that sits around the stoma, cut to size?
Is this correct?

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:44 pm

riffael wrote:

Please help me define our terms.
Barrier ring = the wax ring?
Wafer = the adhesive cloth and the plastic disc that sits around the stoma, cut to size?
Is this correct?

If using a 2 piece system, to me that's correct. 😁 If using a 1 piece system, you'd have the barrier(wax) ring and then your bag that has the wafer(sticky stuff) already attached. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.