Ostomy system not performing as before?

Replies
Views
vollovr

I have used the same products (Convatec) for 27 years with no problems. I've been able to get 5-7 days between changes. For the last 3 years, my products just haven't worked as well as they always have. I can remember going to the beach, traveling on planes, boats, etc., and never having to worry about leakage or less wear time. My weight and diet have changed very little. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Bill

Hello vollovr.

Yes! I got so fed up with trying to resolve this problem, I started making my own baseplates, which I've been successfully using for about 4-5yrs. Unfortunately, I have been sticking them  with Hollister 7730 medical adhesive which, I have recently been told is being withdrawn. Such is life! when we have to rely on people who want to make money rather than help resolve problems. I did ask Hollister if they would send me the recipe - but predicatably there was no chance of that.  I expect there will be a solution out there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it or inventing one's own solutions. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Vollovr, yes I have the same problem. I use the Stomahesive wafer and they are so thin now that they just don't last like they used to. I used to change my setup every fourth day, now it's every third day.

vollovr

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Now I know it isn't just me. I use the Durahesive wafer and they too are thinner than in previous years. I couldn't understand why after using the exact same products for many years that they became problematic in more ways than one. I'm guessing there isn't anything we can do about it just like everything else these days that's forced on us. I have learned from calling or emailing companies such as banks, stores, cable companies, phone companies, etc. and all they can offer is "sorry". I'm thankful for the good years I've had since my ileostomy surgery in 1984 but I hate the direction everything is going now. Rhonda

vollovr
Reply to Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I suspected other people were having the same problems. It seems quality is obsolete these days and customer service is non-existent. I'm glad to hear your optimism, but I don't have much confidence that the products will improve as companies try to cut back on the quality of materials and really just don't give a _ _ _ _, just like everything else today. Let me know if you come up with a satisfactory solution. Rhonda

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

So have you sent in requests for samples from other companies? Might be time to take your business elsewhere, if you can find something you like.

TerryLT

Hi Vollovr, it is disheartening but not surprising to hear this is happening, with the way things are these days. Products are not made to last anymore, in fact the opposite is true. I don't know when you, and others, started to experience this change, but just for the record, when I got my colostomy just over two years ago, I started using Coloplast products and I found I was getting pretty good wear time, 4-5 days, but honestly I wasn't testing it beyond that point, too nervous about leaks. Then I got an ileostomy just over one year ago, and the wear time I was getting with the Coloplast was terrible, 2 days tops. I switched to Hollister and thing improved a lot, but I still had to try a few different appliances before I found one that really works for me. It's the one piece, #8958 is the product code, and I only need to change every 6 days, in fact I've pushed it to once a week a couple of times and I was fine. I do warm the flange with my hair dryer before applying and hold it firmly in place for a good 90 seconds. Maybe worth a try. There are so many different products out there now, and as much as it's a pain in the #! to have to look for a new system after so long, it might just be worth it. Good luck!

Terry

P.S. I would also be complaining to the company. If nobody does, nothing will change.

Old Bud

Same here. Lately, I have started taping all 4 sides around the flange with 3M Tegaderm skin tape to help stabilize it. I have to use adhesive remover to get it off, but it has been a miracle. I am back to 6 days between changes and could go longer. As I became more active is when my problems started. Good luck!

warrior

Good morning Rhonda  this appears to be an old post I don't know if you're still having problems with leakage I like to recommend somethings I use. they're called elastic barrier strips from chloroplast and the item number is 120-700 . these are " c" shaped adhesive strips. very sticky u surround the outer appliance with.

they will help seal and give u yur confidence back.

Regarding the o-  ring I normally use Bravo by chloroplast protective seal that item number is 12039 that is a relatively thin wafer and I've been using that with the seni mio flip Appliance.

Now I recently had to replace that O-ring barrier with a con vateck cohesive seal by  e a k i n and that part number is 839-002 this is a thick o-ring  and it's pliable which means you can stretch it I'd be very careful because once you stretch it you can't put it back and I'm also in the habit of actually applying that around my stoma first before I put the Appliance on that's happening now  because after my surgery the incision for my ken butt altered my stoma and my Appliance so much so that every day I had leaks !!!! now I feel like its about 6 weeks out from the Ken butt surgery and now that I'm Healed I'm back with the thinner barrier seal..the original chloroplast  seal did I mentioned earlier part number 12039 and listen if you don't have a belt you should get one I wear one  and its  an inch wide..  it attaches to a this particular Appliance and wraps around your body I wear 24/7 just adds  more confidence because it presses the whole Appliance towards your stomach holds everything nice and tight ..I rarely take it off except for showering it's really really good stuff here i suggest if u havent fixed your leak problem...this works for me..

I would  the new Appliance unless you can get an attachable belt to the one u use now..so I don't know if this info may help..I  I hope this works for u cause it has improved quality or life for me.  -Warrier.