Safe to eat burgers and fries after ileostomy?

Replies
Views
Miss Worrier

Hi everyone! I am almost 10 weeks out from my ileostomy and haven't had a burger and fries yet! Is it safe to eat these?!? #starving!! Lol

HenryM

Here's my most complex answer:  YES!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Addendum:  Chew it up real good.  Don't overdo on the fries.  I find that potatoes in most every guise thickens me up, but not so much that it keeps me from eating them.  Enjoy.

Hermit

Good question! I get my permanent ileostomy in 5 days!

Miss Worrier
Reply to Hermit

Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hermit
Reply to Miss Worrier

Thanks!

Past Member
Reply to HenryM

Same with potatoes. Definitely thicken things up.

TerryLT

I would be cautious if your burger has tomato, lettuce, or relish on it. Make sure you chew really well, and wash it down with lots of fluids. Enjoy!

Past Member

Hell yes!

About the same time after ileo surgery, that's exactly the food I craved too! Or to be precise, a double bacon and cheeseburger, fries and a serve of onion rings washed down with a chocolate thickshake!

Congratulations on getting your appetite back, that's one of the best feelings ever.

Bon appétit!

Miss Worrier
Reply to HenryM

Thank you!!

Earth Angel
Reply to Hermit

Best of luck to you.

Axl

I had exactly that last night for dinner.

ron in mich

Hi Miss, when I had resection surgery a few years ago, I had my wife get a kids' meal burger and fries from BK, and boy did that hit the spot. But like others said, chew real well and drink a lot with it.

Anoniem18
Reply to HenryM

I have an ileostomy since 2012-04-20, and I eat everything. However, due to problems with my teeth (due to 6 months of radiation), I use cashews etc. in a smoothie in a blender.
The key is to drink lots of fluids (mostly water). I have never had dehydration issues, even though several medicines (diabetes, blood pressure) do cause dehydration.
I gave up being a paid member, so I can only comment. You can message me if you like.

corbiator!
Reply to HenryM

I stopped on the way home from having my ileostomy done, (about a month after receiving this monster) best burger I ever had!

Double cheeseburger and fries @McDonald's! Haven't been in McDonald's since!

JB