Removing Salts Hydrocolloid Residue Safely?

Replies
Views
Past Member

My stoma nurse supplied me with Salts Be, but after much trial and error, I found another device from Theranova that's more suitable.

But I still have a pile of the Salts pouches that I would rather use than waste.

The problem is, the hydrocolloid leaves a waxy, lumpy residue on my skin. When I remove it, it takes my skin off! Does anyone know how to get this residue off, leaving my skin intact?

Past Member

I am surprised Salts didn't supply a removal product with the pouches!

That said, I use Hollister No Sting Adhesive Remover Wipes every time I remove a wafer or pouch. Just tearing those things off your skin is going to cause a problem eventually.

There is a method where you lift up a corner of the glued object and press the wipe into the open fold, applying pressure on your skin. This releases the glue without stressing your skin. If I used paste with an application, I'll use a second wipe once the wafer is off, to remove that paste, which is a beast to get off but can be done gently with the right product. Then I wash the area thoroughly with warm water on a paper towel. If you don't, that remover solution will cause a problem when you apply your new device.

If you have a Stoma Nurse, do address this with her/him. Keeping that peristomal skin healthy is really important.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you do!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

The Hollister adhesive remover spray works great. Much easier than the wipes to get your bag off. I use the spray to get the bag off and then a wipe or two to clean the area.

AlexT

I should have added.... It doesn't take much of the spray to get the bag off. Start at the top and spray a little and give it a second or two to loosen the bag. Work your way down with a couple more sprays. My insurance won't pay for the spray but it's worth it to me to buy it. I change my bag 2 times/week and a can of spray will last at least 2 months if you use just enough to loosen your bag.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Oh, good to know it comes in spray form! I'm still using the supplies ordered by the hospital stoma nurses. The packet cleaners will be handy for my "Go" bag, if I ever get out of this house!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
hambo999

I also use the spray, it is excellent for removing the baseplate. I use a 2-piece and have to change every 24 hours. Just a little spray at the top and let it soak, then peel a little away. Then more spray, then soak again, then peel more. If there's any residue left, spray some directly on and gently wipe away. A can of spray lasts 7 to 10 days. I hope this helps.

lovely

I use Adhesive Remover Wipes once I get the wafer off to remove the adhesive off the skin. One thing I have found that really helps is to get the edge started and instead of pulling the wafer away from the skin, is to hold the wafer and push the skin away from the wafer. I could not believe what a difference this made for me. Also, you did not say if you use a skin protector wipe before you apply anything else. Hope this helps you. Best wishes.

AlexT

If you go on Hollister's site and request a sample can of the spray, they send you a full-size can that I spend $15 for.

qenzore72

Yes, look babe.

Yes, bag, same as.

Yes, know lovers for ever.