Skipping Meals for Work Safety?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies for managing meals and staying safe at work with an ostomy.
Richiee

Hi everyone.

Does anyone else avoid breakfast and lunch to avoid any accidents at work?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Richiee.

Thanks for raising this question as missing meals  seems a fairly logical thing to do to avoid 'accidents'.  However, eating regularly also seems like a logical thing to do to stay healthy and avoid other complications. 

You don't say whether you have a colostomy or ileostomy. If it is the former, I would suggest you explore the procedure known as 'irrigation'. If this works for you, then the problems of 'accidents' at work will no long apply, as you will not have any output during the day and you can get on with your life in a much more 'normal' way.

Best wishes

Bill 

PS: Best of luck with finding a 'lady-friend'. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

No, that's crazy.  That'd be like saying... I'm gonna stay home so I don't get hit by a car.  Having an ostomy is not a life-ending thing.  Learn how to deal with it and there's nothing you can't do, including eating three meals a day.  Don't they have bathrooms at work?  The more familiar you become with your ostomy, the fewer "accidents" you'll have.  Of course, now that I think about it, I would probably benefit weightwise by missing a few meals, but I like to eat too much.

Past Member

I have an ileostomy and if I don't eat, my bag just fills up with froth and air which is actually more of a nuisance to unload than regular output. Small regular meals work for me. I've always carried a spare set but never had to use it yet, touch wood!

Past Member

Hi Richie,

I eat a small breakfast a couple of hours before starting work. That way things get moving and I can empty before work. Then a small lunch halfway through the day. I drink lots of decaf tea. And I do have an emergency bag of 'everything but the kitchen sink' with me. Good luck.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

No, my bag will need emptying sometime in the workday, even if I didn't eat.

You're more likely to have a serious accident going without breakfast and lunch, making yourself ill and fainting. It's even more serious if you're operating machinery or driving, putting others' lives in danger too. In the long term, not doing your own health any good skipping meals regularly.

Past Member

You should see my arsenal of supplies when I head to San Francisco on a 13-hour with a stop 16-hour flight!! I have a backpack that is always jammed with supplies. About 2 hours before leaving, I'll eat something, a sandwich maybe, and before I get to the airport, that will be gone through me. I get a seat near the bathroom on the outside. I often make a couple of small sandwiches to snack on if I need to. Jo, you're right on the mark, the thing just blows up with air if there's nothing to digest. I've never had to change it while flying, thankfully. The bathrooms have become so small that even a small person, like myself, can barely get in the door, changing would not be good!!

Eat little bits all day and you should be fine.

Eamon

Maried

I just eat small meals during the work day. In the morning, I have plain toast and tea. For lunch, I have soup or a small meat sandwich, water, and a fruit that does not cause gas noises like raspberries. During snack time, I have chips or low-fat yogurt. I eat things that are low fat and low sugar. I sit at a computer all day, so this is usually enough food. But if your job is physically demanding, make sure you eat enough food so you can stay healthy and work.

bowsprit

Yes. My efforts are directed towards keeping things quiet in the evening when I meet people socially. There are few people who know what I suffer from. It is a cruel and competitive world I live in, though I have a lot of good friends, there are a number of rivals lurking around too. They would probably write me off. With a little bit of control, you can regulate the time you are most active in output and when inactive, but a lot depends on the individual, your doctor is the best adviser.