Seeking advice for post-op heartburn after emergency colectomy

Replies
Views
Past Member
Apr 12, 2022 10:49 pm

Good evening - I am posting on behalf of someone close to me who is 1 week post-op emergency colectomy with colostomy. This is very new and very scary at the time being. As we process through these first weeks/months....

1 - Any advice that you have? Pearls of wisdom, so we can avoid learning things the hard way?

2 - Any advice (at all) for dealing with the "heartburn"? IV Pepcid and oral Maalox aren't helping - neither are any of the clear hot or cold liquids we've tried so far.

Thank you so much in advance!

AlexT
Apr 12, 2022 11:06 pm

I don't get heartburn much, but when I do, cold chocolate milk pretty much solves it. Also, it helps if you can elevate the upper half of their body so they're not lying flat. It takes a while to heal, go slow.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Apr 12, 2022 11:22 pm

I drink a glass of water for heartburn.

Rose Bud 🌹
Apr 13, 2022 12:57 am

Sodium bicarbonate pills, which I'm on right now per my doctor, work with helping heartburn (same with baking soda) or sounds crazy, pickle juice... just advice. I'm NOT a doctor. Best of luck.

Longroad78
Apr 13, 2022 2:38 am

I never had heartburn before my surgery, but directly after surgery while recovering in the hospital, I had heartburn so bad that it made me lose my voice as I had stomach acid up to my vocal cords. The hospital gave me over-the-counter Mylanta or something similar chalky medication, and it slowly went away. I do not know what or how the surgery may have caused it, but regular over-the-counter heartburn meds got the symptoms down until my body calmed down. Hopefully, you're in the same boat.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Axl
Apr 13, 2022 3:00 am

I rarely get it, but as mentioned not laying flat works for me.

Bill
Apr 13, 2022 6:15 am

Hello ForAFriend.

Heartburn should be taken seriously, as it can cause complex long-term problems in the oesophagus if the reflux burns the linings. 

As with many other people, I tried with some success, the many antacids on the market. Then I heard about not lying flat and elevating the upper body, so I bought a bed that elevates both the upper and lower body to a sort of hammock position. This has proved to be invaluable for the prevention of reflux and has meant that I have been able to dispense with all the other medication I was taking for this condition (most of the time). It also helps with sleep apnoea and wearing the CPAP mask, but that's a different story.

Best wishes

Bill  

Past Member
Apr 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Thank you all.

xnine
Apr 13, 2022 7:09 pm

I take gripe water, good for babies and big babies too.

Past Member
Apr 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi there, I put a half spoon of baking soda (not baking powder) in my water bottle and sip when I get heartburn. Works every time!!

Best of luck