Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,920 members

Weight gaining shakes

Sun May 01, 2022 10:14 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hi does anyone have any suggestions to protein shakes or weight gaining shakes that don't have a bad aftertaste ,I'm a farely new ileostomy since August, just looking to have something that tastes great and makes me feel full,always hungry ever since my surgery. 

Sun May 01, 2022 10:26 pm

I drank PremierProtein shakes for awhile, they aren’t bad. 30g of protein each. I now drink Hiland chocolate milk, I think they’re 16g of protein each and taste great. I also eat Pure Protein bars and they taste just about like a regular candy bar. There are many high calorie weight gain powders/drinks that are much better now than they were years ago. Same with bars. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,920 members
Sun May 01, 2022 11:08 pm

Thank you so much. 

Sun May 01, 2022 11:22 pm

Scicerchia wrote:

Thank you so much. 

You’re welcome. Good luck. 

Tue May 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Hi Scicerchia,

I don't know about shakes but wanted to say welcome to the forum. 😊

Tue May 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Thank you so much 

Tue May 03, 2022 7:44 pm

Hi Scicerchia, I have had my colostomy for 2 years and just recently started being hungry all the time. I have no idea why. I think I will go see my doctor. Do you know why you are?

Tue May 03, 2022 9:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Hi Scicerchia, I have had my colostomy for 2 years and just recently started being hungry all the time. I have no idea why. I think I will go see my doctor. Do you know why you are?

Are you craving things like ice cream and pickles? 🤭😮 

Tue May 03, 2022 10:15 pm

LOL ice cream yes. Pickles no. 

Tue May 03, 2022 10:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:

LOL ice cream yes. Pickles no. 

Could just be temporary cravings that’ll subside in say 9 months. 😁

Wed May 04, 2022 5:09 am

AlexT wrote:

Could just be temporary cravings that’ll subside in say 9 months. 😁

Then that truly would be a miracle. 😇

Wed May 04, 2022 10:17 am

AlexT wrote:

Are you craving things like ice cream and pickles? 🤭😮 

I'm assuming I'm always hungry due to my output of my ileostomy,so I constantly crave nutrition,I do take alot of vitamins also to try and stay somewhat healthy,I don't have any intestines so everything is much quicker 🙂

Wed May 04, 2022 10:20 am

Scicerchia wrote:

I'm assuming I'm always hungry due to my output of my ileostomy,so I constantly crave nutrition,I do take alot of vitamins also to try and stay somewhat healthy,I don't have any intestines so every...

Lol no pickles and ice cream either 😄

Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 am

Scicerchia wrote:

Lol no pickles and ice cream either 😄

😅

Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 am

Scicerchia wrote:

I'm assuming I'm always hungry due to my output of my ileostomy,so I constantly crave nutrition,I do take alot of vitamins also to try and stay somewhat healthy,I don't have any intestines so every...

I think I need to get my vitamin levels checked. 🤔

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:32 pm

I make my own shakes. In a blender I put 1 cup of milk, 1/2 frozen banana, some frozen strawberries,2 tablespoons Peanut butter, some soaked oats 1/2 cup ( I soak them overnight keep a container in fridge) 1 scoop of NOW whey protein isolate plain flavor. Some ice if needed . So yummy and satisfying. I too am always hungry with my Ileo . Short bowel syndrome makes us absorb less nutrients. Add any fruit or liquid you like. I don't use premade shakes many have artificial sugars that make food go through faster. 

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 am

Scicerchia wrote:

Thank you so much. 

While I was in the hospital earlier this year for 2 months, at one point I was drinking Kate Farms vanilla shakes. 325 calories per carton. They tasted good. :)

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 am

Scicerchia wrote:

Thank you so much. 

Had to have a illeostomy last August. Very nearly died due to complications during surgery! Spent a week in a medically induced coma, on life support and a ventilator. At one point during my coma, nurses had to restrain me! 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.