Violation of Usage Policies: Discussion on Ileostomy and Colostomy

Replies
Views
delsontro2

Hi everyone . I just joined this group today. I am from NJ. I had emergency surgery 1 year ago and woke up to both ileostomy and colostomy.

Beth22

Welcome I just joined as well

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Hi you two. Glad to have new people. Check out history, ask questions, post some pics.

lovely

Welcome both of you. You can find a lot of good information here.

RaenotRay

I'm sorry that's how everything started for you. I had a similar circumstance with emergency surgery, and waking up with an ileostomy. I didn't even know what an ileostomy was at that point. This is a great group, with lots of wonderful information, and belly laughs. I hope you feel welcome here. <3

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
AlexT

Welcome.

Meadow Snow
Reply to RaenotRay

In that regard I'm lucky that I was working in the job that I was - I was a healthcare assistant on a busy hospital ward. I'd had enough patients with stomas and had to help them with them that it wasn't this completely alien red blob poking out of my tummy. But of course I found out that helping someone else with theirs is absolutely nothing like managing your own stoma. It was a very steep learning curve, for sure, coz the hospital stay when I had my colectomy was also when I was diagnosed with my UC, and before that I was completely ignorant to IBDs.

ron in mich

Hi Ladies welcome to the site, lottsa good info here and fun people.

Past Member

Welcome! This is a wonderful forum with lots of helpful folks.

Earth Angel

Welcome new friend, we are all here to help and support. Lots of amazing friends here that care and give great advice. You will learn much more than what your doctors and nurses will tell you. I hope you get comfortable soon. We can be quite the silly bunch too, so we are good for some laughs!

Caz67

Welcome to the site we all have one thing in common which is the stoma. Ask any questions and I'm sure you will get lots of answers and support. XX

TerryLT

Hello and welcome!Emergency surgery lead to my ostomy too, so I can relate. I am curious though, as you say you woke up to a colostomy and an ileostomy?I had a colostomy and an ileostomy for around eight months, but that was only after my initial surgery, which gave me the colostomy, was not working for me. The surgeon gave me an ileostomy and disconnected the colostomy, so only the ileo was working. He did not go back in and remove the rest of my large bowel and close up the colostomy site until it was clear that the ileostomy was working well for me. He did this so that he could have reversed it if the ileo was not successful. I'm not clear on why you would have both stomas after just one surgery, and wonder why the surgeon did that?I'm assuming that only one is working, right?

Anyway, as others have said, there is lots of support, friendship and fun on this site, so glad you found us!

Terry

Mayoman

Welcome to Our Gang ...ask and thou shalt recieve ..

delsontro2
Reply to RaenotRay

I was very aware of what it was but never thought it would happen to me. I was taking care of a client that had the ileostomy. But I was just changing her bag, not really knowing all I know now. Now I wish someone was changing mine!

RaenotRay
Reply to delsontro2

Haha, right? It's so daunting at first. Your body is changing, and there are a million choices for supplies. Once you find the right equipment, and get into a good routine, you'll start feeling more normal. Remember to laugh, and give yourself lots of grace. You are definitely not alone.

Homie With A Stomie NS

welcome and glad you found the rest of us....don't be afraid to reach out say hiya and chat away....ur not alone we are all gere for ya....smile on