Dark Output after Cranberry Juice?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello all,

In March of 2022, I had surgery for rectal cancer and I currently have a temporary ileostomy. Today, for the first time, I drank cranberry cocktail juice. I have noticed that my output is really dark. Has anyone else experienced this from drinking cranberry juice? I have left a message for my doctor as well.

Rose Bud 🌹

Certain foods will change the color. The 1st time I had red Gatorade it scared me at 1st. Just make sure there's no blood in your output. For the most part, it's normal for it to be yellow, orange, or green depending on what you eat and how much fat. Just like how green Fruit Loops make a kid's poop green, the same goes for things we drink and eat. We just notice it more now than before.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,474 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

colenemcclard

Hello! I had mine in December 2021. Same, certain food and drink will change it a bit and not just due to color but type of food. Sugary or loaded carb meals will be different and in consistency than others. I have heard from long-time ostomy folks that eventually your intestines will adjust and sounds won't be as drastic as at first. Will have to wait and see! Right now mine sounds like the Predator Alien from when gurgling... hahaha!

Past Member
Reply to colenemcclard

Thank you, that helped.

Past Member
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Thank you!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Axl

Beetroot is another good one.

ouphe

Hello! I went through the same exact process—temporary ileostomy as part of rectal cancer treatment—and my experience was that ileostomy output color was heavily correlated with the food you ate. My understanding was that since your GI system has less time to process that food, the output ends up looking a lot more like the input!

Homie With A Stomie NS

MS18 Yes ma'am, for me it was a cherry red slush. Output was blood red for hours.... Remember we are truly what we eat....

Happy Friday, girl.

Tracy