Join the Largest Ostomy Community
Next >

Any ileostomy Runners in the house ?

Hello. I am still getting use to my stoma and have started running again. Slowly.

And was wondering what your set up was like ? Hydration, what bag?  Any tips or advice

All being well i hope to do a long  distance at some point later in the year

Thanks

Eddie

MeetAnOstoMate - 30,199 members
Join a supportive community of individuals who understand your journey and can provide valuable insights, guidance, and companionship throughout your ostomy experience.

Hiya Eddie.  I've aged out of it now, but I spent most of my middle years running with my ileostomy, got up to about 25 mi. a week at one point in the Eighties.  I never had to take any special precautions, never wore any kind of support belt, just underwear.  Ran two 10Ks in my early seventies.  I'm sure that I could run now if I made the extra effort, but I'm satisfied with walking.  Good luck.  HenryM

Hey Henry. I am probably over thinking things. I went for my fist run today with just a hernia support belt which made me feel more secure and it went well !

Hello Ostoed.

I, like Henry, used to run but age and a severe heart attack followed by a triple bypass put paid to that. I still walk and cycle and have never had any problems regarding the stoma. 

As with any exercise,  the wise will take their time and build up to their peak, rather than overdoing it at the beginning. 

Best of luck

Bill

I wish  I could say I too was a runner,  but not so.  Good advice from runners tho  - take care ! JB

Reply to Justbreathe

LOL I only run now if a bear is chasing me. 😁

Reply to HenryM

All your neighbors are glad you wore underwear. 😂

Eddie: I have started to run again, well a little. I had my ostomy surgery last November. So far just short distances, like 2 or 3 miles, and I use a support belt. My biggest concern on longer runs would be hydration. I last ran a marathon in 2018. That was pre-ostomy, however. Don't know if I'll get there again.

I could be wrong but I believe the Stealth Belt originated for a young marathoner who had an ostomy wanted to continue running.

Bruce

Reply to Bees

I have a stealth belt on right now. Quality product and works well. 👍

Reply to SallyK

Maybe a new fitness trend. Bear running.

"I can't run?"

"I can help you....release the bears !"

RUN !

"I lost nearly a stone with the new bear running program ! I also lost my friend Steve..."

Reply to Ostoed

😂😂😂

Reply to Ostoed

A sport where you don't have to be the fastest to win, you just can't be the slowest. 😁

Reply to AlexT

😂 So true. I would definitely be the bear's dinner.

Welcome Eddie 😊

I just had to read your post. I was very curious as to what an 'ileostomy runner' is. LOL Thought it was a new device of some sort. 😄 

Reply to SallyK

You know that is exactly the wrong thing to do, right?!!?

Reply to delgrl525

Not if you're faster than anyone you're running with. 👀😁

Reply to AlexT

True!!

Stealth Belt For sure for bag security and comfort no chaffing of bag rubbing against skin. I do not run but I do work out weights and Zumba . Baby steps. Just keep electrolytes in check. Glad you are not letting your stoma stop you from getting back to life. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.