Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Any ileostomy Runners in the house ?

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:45 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hello. I am still getting use to my stoma and have started running again. Slowly.

And was wondering what your set up was like ? Hydration, what bag?  Any tips or advice

All being well i hope to do a long  distance at some point later in the year

Thanks

Eddie

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:20 am

Hiya Eddie.  I've aged out of it now, but I spent most of my middle years running with my ileostomy, got up to about 25 mi. a week at one point in the Eighties.  I never had to take any special precautions, never wore any kind of support belt, just underwear.  Ran two 10Ks in my early seventies.  I'm sure that I could run now if I made the extra effort, but I'm satisfied with walking.  Good luck.  HenryM

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:26 am

Hey Henry. I am probably over thinking things. I went for my fist run today with just a hernia support belt which made me feel more secure and it went well !

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:14 am

Hello Ostoed.

I, like Henry, used to run but age and a severe heart attack followed by a triple bypass put paid to that. I still walk and cycle and have never had any problems regarding the stoma. 

As with any exercise,  the wise will take their time and build up to their peak, rather than overdoing it at the beginning. 

Best of luck

Bill

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:12 pm

I wish  I could say I too was a runner,  but not so.  Good advice from runners tho  - take care ! JB

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Justbreathe wrote:

I wish  I could say I too was a runner,  but not so.  Good advice from runners tho  - take care ! JB

LOL I only run now if a bear is chasing me. 😁

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm

HenryM wrote:

Hiya Eddie.  I've aged out of it now, but I spent most of my middle years running with my ileostomy, got up to about 25 mi. a week at one point in the Eighties.  I never had to take any special p...

All your neighbors are glad you wore underwear. 😂

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:03 pm

Eddie: I have started to run again, well a little. I had my ostomy surgery last November. So far just short distances, like 2 or 3 miles, and I use a support belt. My biggest concern on longer runs would be hydration. I last ran a marathon in 2018. That was pre-ostomy, however. Don't know if I'll get there again.

I could be wrong but I believe the Stealth Belt originated for a young marathoner who had an ostomy wanted to continue running.

Bruce

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Bees wrote:

Eddie: I have started to run again, well a little. I had my ostomy surgery last November. So far just short distances, like 2 or 3 miles, and I use a support belt. My biggest concern on longer runs...

I have a stealth belt on right now. Quality product and works well. 👍

Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:28 am

SallyK wrote:

Maybe a new fitness trend. Bear running.

"I can't run?"

"I can help you....release the bears !"

RUN !

"I lost nearly a stone with the new bear running program ! I also lost my friend Steve..."

Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:33 am

Ostoed wrote:

"I can't run?"

RUN !

"I lost nearly a stone with the new bear running program ! I also lost my friend Steve..."

😂😂😂

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:37 am

Ostoed wrote:

"I can't run?"

RUN !

A sport where you don’t have to be the fastest to win, you just can’t be the slowest. 😁

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:39 am

AlexT wrote:

A sport where you don’t have to be the fastest to win, you just can’t be the slowest. 😁

😂 So true. I would definitely be the bear's dinner.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:49 am

Welcome Eddie 😊

I just had to read your post. I was very curious as to what an 'ileostomy runner' is. LOL Thought it was a new device of some sort. 😄 

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm

SallyK wrote:

You know that is exactly the wrong thing to do, right?!!?

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:53 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

You know that is exactly the wrong thing to do, right?!!?

Not if you’re faster than anyone you’re running with. 👀😁

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:28 pm

AlexT wrote:

Not if you’re faster than anyone you’re running with. 👀😁

True!!

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.