Trouble with Bag's Leaky Velcro Seal

Replies
Views
jarsenault

Why does the Velcro seal at the bottom of my bag keep leaking? I seal it properly and clean it well but have to change bag almost every day.

HenryM

Velcro has it's limitations.  That's why I prefer Hollister's clip, which has never failed me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Audrey Warren

I wear a Coloplast Sensura Mio convex pouch with Velcro closure. I rinse it with very warm water to clean it as well as I can and use a hair dryer. Some say don't rinse, but I've never had any problems. The Velcro is fine/good. Change the bag twice weekly.
I'd suggest talking with a rep.

AlexT

You have to clean the Velcro part of your bag? I've never had to do that.

SallyK

I use Coloplast Sensura Mio Convex Pouch with Velcro closure for over 2 years now and have not had that issue.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

You don't say what brand you are using, but I can vouch for Hollister. The only time I had a problem is when I was careless about sealing the Velcro firmly. You really do have to make sure the 'teeth' are really sealed together.

Terry

Mayoman

I find that with my Hollister the Velcro sometimes comes off, detached from the plastic. But rarely.

When closing the Velcro, you have to squeeze along its length methodically until you feel it click together. You should feel it click in. I have often had it come apart and leak, once in the security line at an airport!!! Ever since that, I put a strip of tape over the closure, just in case, now I don't worry at all. Double over the ends of the tape for easy opening and resealing.

I have also had the clip break several times, so nothing is perfect, I guess!! The piece of tape will save your butt...literally!! I use Micropore Surgical Tape, it will not come off in water or soap, sea, etc., great stuff, I always have a 2-inch roll with me. Good luck!!

Magoo

Mayoman

Hi Jar, I have to say it... How did the seal get into your baggie? LOL... I know, I know!! I'll shut up now.

Maried

Try putting a little piece of toilet paper inside the bag. This happens with my bags. If I put M9 in it or it has liquid poop.

lovely

I use Hollister's clip. It has always worked for me.

Skee

I use the Hollister 8531 and I clean the drain with baby wipes, disposing of them in a ziplock bag. Then fold and lock the Velcro.
It is possible to misalign and get no lock. I always gently tug to ensure a lock has occurred.
Usually, the locking action can be felt.

Mayoman

That's it, Skee. The final test after closing the Velcro... just gently tug on the flap and make sure the Velcro hooks are tight and it's locked in place... Magoo.

cheekychops

I've used Coloplast Sensura Mio Convex Pouch for the past 5 years. The Velcro has only ever opened when it's collected a lot of fluff and cotton thread. It's rare that Velcro needs cleaning.

One night in my sleep, I opened my bag to burp it, woke up with my hands there, and thought how lucky I was that I had no leakage.

I change my bag every 3 days.

Mayoman

Just one more. You should check your new unused bags. Try the Velcro by squeezing the Velcro strips together and see if they lock properly right out of the box. You should be able to hear a sort of click, you can feel the Velcro hooks locking. If the new unused one does not lock, then it is probably defective.

The nasty stuff should not really get on the Velcro as Alex said?! Have some toilet paper ready around the bag opening and just let the bag hang so the stuff pours out freely. Someone mentioned that fluff can get stuck in the teeth/hooks of the Velcro. I've seen this myself, so try the Velcro on the new bags where there is no chance of fluff blocking the hooks on the Velcro to check for defective Velcro. It might seem to be locked, so just tug it to check and make sure.

Hope you got it working properly.

Audrey Warren
Reply to AlexT

I don't clean the Velcro but the pouch. When I rinse the bag, the Velcro gets wet. I use a hairdryer and haven't had any problems.

Ontario Ostomate
Reply to HenryM

I use a Hollister closed bag with disposable plastic liners and never have a leaking problem that way.

Audrey Warren
Reply to AlexT

No, you don't have to clean Velcro. Fussy about keeping the bag clean. Stoma is active in the morning. After that, it's done until the next morning.