Rinsing Ostomy Bag - Tips for Thick Stool & Water Usage

Replies
Views
rustykunk1949
Jun 17, 2022 4:53 am

Can anyone advise me on rinsing the colostomy bag in between changes? My stool gets really thick and it is very hard to empty the bag. I know it is because I have been bad about drinking enough water some days, etc. Can you use plain tap water to rinse your bag? No one told me anything about it in the hospital before leaving and I keep forgetting to call the nurse. Any advice?

Also, do any of you take Miralax regularly for this issue? I was advised I could or take stool softeners!

AlexT
Jun 17, 2022 5:01 am

I do it all the time. Warm water filling your bag about half, slosh it around. Flush your toilet and as the toilet water is going down, empty your bag....no splash.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

SallyK
Jun 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Welcome rustykunk1949.

I rinse using a cleansing bottle every time I empty. I bought several of these and have them in my bathrooms, and I carry one with me in my 'emergency change' bag. I also use a lubricating deodorant that helps the pouch stay slippery inside. Keep asking questions. This is a group of wonderful, helpful people.

Login to see image

Justbreathe
Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm

I have an ileostomy and for the most part, my output is just liquid, but I do rinse my bag every time I empty it (when at home). I do the slosh thing like Alex mentioned as well. I have had no problem with this - I just use regular tap water. I have also used a splash of baby oil once rinsed (as was mentioned on this site a while ago) and it does help the slip-sliding away factor, especially if stool thickness is a factor. Also, it smells nice. Sally's method sounds good too. My daughter calls me a minimalist and when it comes to this whole ostomy maintenance, I am FOR SURE a minimalist. I do try new products from time to time, but I like to keep things real simple - less is better. An appliance change, for me, is a bagless shower, a no-frills bag, adhesive remover wipe, some small scissors, stoma powder, a skin barrier wipe. So far, so good.
Hope the suggestions by fellow ostomates are helpful. Best wishes. jb

Homie With A Stomie NS
Jun 17, 2022 10:44 pm

Certainly... I use warm tap water and a good squeeze bottle. Empty, hold upwards, squeeze in water, seal it, swish around, and empty as normal. I make sure it gets up to the stoma to give it a wash as well. We are here for you.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Rosebud65
Aug 15, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi Rusty,

I have an ileostomy, and due to adhesions which twist around my small bowel, I can empathize with what you are saying about emptying your bag. I was advised on here to put oil into the bag, i.e. baby oil, or olive oil, and your contents will definitely move down with ease when it comes to emptying your bag. You will find it is so much better. I spray baby oil into my bag, totally changed things for me. Hope you're finding this site helpful.

X