Easy Tip: Tuck Top Under Bra for Easier Ostomy Pouch Emptying

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses a simple tip for individuals with an ostomy, suggesting tucking the top of the pouch under the bra for easier emptying.
TerryLT

Hello to all my fellow female ostomates,

You know how we all figure out our own routines for dealing with our ostomies? Some from advice from others, and some, we just come up with ourselves? Well, something I've been doing since the beginning, a very simple trick, maybe something that all you ladies already figured out, but it occurred to me that some might not have. You might all say, "Well, duh!", but here it is. When I'm emptying my pouch, and I am wearing a top, shirt, blouse, sweater, whatever, that hangs past my waist, which pretty much all my tops do, in order to get things out of the way and make the emptying process easier, I simply tuck the bottom of my top under the band of my bra. It makes a big difference. Hopefully this will help some.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Thanks, Terry.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Earth Angel

Lol, I tuck it under my boobs.

Hairdresser

Thank you!! This will make life a lot better!! Not to mention keeping my shirts cleaner longer! Thank you

Past Member

As I don't always wear a bra, even before the ostomy (and definitely after), I've always worn stretchy singlet tops/camisoles that I can tuck in shirts and tops under (even a dress or skirt on occasion), just roll it all up and away you go!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lovely

I catch the end of my shirt and pull it tight around my body and tuck it under. I also keep a bag clip that you clip opened bags with on a shelf beside the commode. I gather up the end of my shirt tight and clip it.

TerryLT
Reply to Earth Angel

LOL! I'm not sure my equipment would be up to the challenge!

TerryLT
Reply to Hairdresser

I'm so glad it could be of help to you!

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

Yeah, when I'm at home, the girls are usually unencumbered, so this trick doesn't always work!

Earth Angel
Reply to TerryLT

Amen!!! Lol

Ebony&Ivory

I pull my top up and over my head so it's around my neck.

Mayoman
Reply to Earth Angel

Me too!!

Keep smiling and enjoying life, Angel...you have a pretty smile...Magoo

AlexT

I just took my shirt off, you ladies should try it.

Earth Angel
Reply to Mayoman

Silly MaGoo, you're so sweet - thank you

Earth Angel
Reply to AlexT

How do you know we don't?

AlexT
Reply to Earth Angel

Pics or it didn't happen.

eefyjig

I used to tie my shirt with an elastic hair band and it would get all wrinkled in record time until an ostomy nurse tucked it under my bra. I thought, "How did I not think of this?" Thanks for sharing your simple yet effective tip, Terry!

P.S. For those of you who have a cold season, isn't it fun to have to maneuver a scarf in an outdoor public restroom, too?!

Artsy Lady

I pull the hem up and clip it to the neckline with a claw-type hair clip.

Lots of good tips here.

TerryLT
Reply to Ebony&Ivory

I've been known to do that when I'm not wearing a bra!

#Highlyfavored
Reply to AlexT

Funny lol.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Earth Angel

I do the same too. I have enough boobs to tuck mine.

judgelori

I tuck under the bra...always!! Lol...and my greatest fear is coming out of the restroom at work with my shirt still tucked in my bra!! Lol...it most certainly will happen to me at some point, I don't doubt it. :o)

Kazzikat

I always carry a covered elastic band that I use to tie up my hair. It's also useful to pull up and secure my clothing at chest level to prevent the fabric from falling down into the bag area when I'm emptying.

Renfromtexas
Reply to Earth Angel

Haha! I always make the crop top with the bottom of my top with the collar of my shirt or dress.

jenibritish

Great suggestion! I tucked my shirt under my chin. Had a few close calls :) This would be so much easier.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Great suggestion delgrl525.... Seeing I go braless around the house only and my boobs aren't big enough to tuck my shirt under, although as the saying goes, gravity certainly has taken over. Lol, it makes me a chin tucker. Lol... Love the great suggestions. Thank you all. And for

Alex T, we all know now you're a boob man.

Stay well, be safe all.

Tracy

AlexT
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

Me?

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to AlexT

No, not you. You're a puppy. Of course, you!

Maried

Since I had a long torso and long legs and my bag is near my navel... I do not tuck, just lift my shirt a little... it is so automatic now I had to think about that one... but thank you for the good idea :)... my biggest worry is the backsplash if I am not close enough to the toilet... because I always stand and empty.

TerryLT

Hi Maried, if you just lift your shirt a little, how do you keep it from falling back down? The idea is to free up both hands, so I can't picture what you are describing. Also, I'm amazed that you are able to empty while standing up! I'm sure I would make a huge mess, although it's been tempting to try on some occasions when in a public toilet that isn't very clean. Actually, that seems to describe most public toilets! I've started taking a little zipper bag with a couple of disinfectant wipes, if I know I'm going to be out for a while and using public toilets. I just clean the seat before using it.

Terry