Irrigation for Ostomates: A Game-Changer!

Replies
Views
helistens2012

Hi all, I have been an ostomate for 40 years due to rectal cancer. The nurses at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis showed me how to irrigate every morning after breakfast. Upon completion of cleaning out my bowels and a shower, I can get by almost every day with just wearing a stoma cap. I say "almost" as I put on a bag if I am going out to dinner to have a big meal with either a cocktail or wine.

Past Member

That is something I wanted to look into someday. Good to hear how well it works for others. Thanks for sharing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

helistens2012

I suggest that you speak to an ostomy nurse before you start.

Itsinthebagnow

I have read all about irrigation. You'd think with the stoma and gear issues I have, I'd seriously consider it. But I can't bear the thought of spending an hour on a self-care project every morning or every other morning. With my many autoimmune disorders, my self-care is enough. Because I eat so little, I empty my colostomy pouch just twice a day and am very efficient now, emptying in 5 minutes or so. Rarely do I have to clean up the toilet or area around it due to a misfire. And I don't really mind wearing a pouch. That's weird.

I appreciate you bringing irrigation to my mind, though, as if my gear experiments continue, irrigation might be the only answer.

helistens2012

Whatever works best for you.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Motu

Good to meet someone else that irrigates. I had my surgery in 2019 and started irrigating within a couple of months. I had retired early so used irrigation more as a lifestyle aid at first, doing it just as needed, such as when traveling. Then a recruiter contacted me and I ended up working full time again, so now I do it every day. It means getting up a little earlier but does make for a more relaxing day!

Past Member

I started irrigation a few months ago. My biggest regret is that I waited so long. It certainly is a game changer.