Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,382 members

Ileostomy & one beer

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:26 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hi, new poster. Searching for a reason. My bag changes were about five days until recently. Now I am able to get only 3 maybe 4 days. Two questions. First I enjoy one can of beer on occasion; does the alcohol break down the pectin faster?

Second, the Hollister bags recently became more flexible. Could that cause a more frequent  bag change?  I like the flexibility but would like longer change times. 
Thanks for letting an older guy entertain you. 

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:36 am

I doubt 1 beer is gonna hurt you or your setup. The Hollister bag being more flexible may cause less time if it affects the adhesion to your skin cause it’s moving a tad bit. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,382 members
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:03 am

Hello Ostotim.

Thanks for your questions;

I too have no idea about the effects of alcohol on bag wear and I agree with AlexT about a possible reason for less wear time. However, there are many more possibilities in this regard which have been discussed by different folk on here in the past.

Manufacturers are often experimenting with different material's and  adhesives, which, from one perspective we should be grateful for because it means that they may be seeking to improve our experiences and the functionality of their product.  From another, more cynical perspective, they may be following the profit motive and making goods that don't last quite as long, a strategy which potentially makes them greater profits. 

Recently, Hollister discontinued their line in adhesive spray 7730 and when I enquired as to the reasons why, I was given the impression that it was no longer relevant/'profitable' for them to produce/market it. Hence, my reference to the second optional perspective.

There are many options available from other manufacturers and they are often wiling to tempt you towards their products by sending free samples, so why not try a few others to see how you get on. 

I gave up  with with manufacturer's baseplates that either did not stick efficiently or stuck so well that they were difficult to remove. So I took to making my own baseplates, to suit my own particular needs. I can stick manufactured devices to my baseplates and they last for months.

Here's hoping you can find something to suit your own needs soon.

Best wishes

Bill 

Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:46 am

I've had my ileo since 2008 and have always used Hollister products.  Have noticed in the last few years that the bags have become quite lightweight and as you say "flexible" (not to mention crackly as all get out, some days it's like I'm toting a bag of potato chips around with me!).

In the past I could get up to 6-7 days wear time (this is with a two-piece system), but now it's about 3-4 days tops before changing.  Thought in my case it might be change in skin from getting older and being menopausal,  but I don't think the bags are as sturdy as they used to be.  For example I have a couple of spares in my handbag from years ago (never actually had to use them) and the material of the bags from way back when is a lot thicker.

I don't think it's the beer, not too keen on the ale myself but in the past have definitely enjoyed the company of the "J's" (Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Jose Cuervo) with no ill effects on the ileo (just a tad headachey the next day) 😉

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:12 am

Hi Tim go ahead and have that beer one isnt going to make any differance in wear time but like Bill said suppliers making them thinner and not as durable. I personally enjoy a cold one after cutting grass especially with the hot temps we,ve been having lately.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:04 pm

I do not think beer has anything to do with ware time. I use Hollister products and have not noticed any change in the ones I use.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:05 pm

I do not think beer has anything to do with ware time. I use Hollister products and have not noticed any change in the ones I use.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi there , I use Hollister and have tried a few of the newer " Thinner"  wafers . They make the adhesive Way Thinner and the ones I tried last two days . I stick with the older models ...they last 5 to 6 days for me . The newer ones don't have thick enough adhesive pads so they brea down much faster .

  Try the older models ? ☘  Magoo ☘

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:33 am

Been bagging it for over ten years, alcohol doesn't cause me any issues at all. Carbonation can cause gas and bag bloat though and for this reason I don't drink beer much anymore but have no issues with mixed drinks or still ciders. So enjoy a drink or two!

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am

Go ahead and enjoy your beer. The only impact I notice from alcohol is that it tends to make things runnier (which can make a leak a bit more likely) and produce more gas. It's important that we don't let our ostomies stop us doing the things we enjoy.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 pm


Bill wrote:

Hello Ostotim.

Thanks for your questions;

I too have no idea about the effects of alcohol on bag wear and I agree with AlexT about a possible reason for less wear time. However, there are many mo...

Hello Bill,

I am intrigued you make your own baseplate. I'm guessing this is a two part system.

I'd be interested if you don't mind in sharing what you are doing and how, If OK, if not, I fully admire your step into some independence from being totally tied to manufacturers products.

I have never been advised on how often to change. Living i the UK, we get these things for free, but I hate waste and am always interested in innovative ways to increase the wear of these (wretched) things.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pm


AlexT wrote:

I doubt 1 beer is gonna hurt you or your setup. The Hollister bag being more flexible may cause less time if it affects the adhesion to your skin cause it’s moving a tad bit. 

Thanks Alex, Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:12 pm


giantbadger74 wrote:

Go ahead and enjoy your beer. The only impact I notice from alcohol is that it tends to make things runnier (which can make a leak a bit more likely) and produce more gas. It's important that we do...

Thanks Giantbadger74, appreciate you comments; it is always something. Just keeping a sense of humor. Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:15 pm


CascadianAaron wrote:

Been bagging it for over ten years, alcohol doesn't cause me any issues at all. Carbonation can cause gas and bag bloat though and for this reason I don't drink beer much anymore but have no issues...

Thanks CascadianAaron for your comments. Always something - keeping a sense of humor; this is minor compared to what a lot of others go thru. Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm


Mayoman wrote:

Hi there , I use Hollister and have tried a few of the newer " Thinner"  wafers . They make the adhesive Way Thinner and the ones I tried last two days . I stick with the older models ...they last...

Thanks for your reply Mayan, keeping a sense of humor is required. Thanks again, Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:19 pm


xnine wrote:

I do not think beer has anything to do with ware time. I use Hollister products and have not noticed any change in the ones I use.

Thanks xnine, onward we go. Tim 

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:21 pm


ron in mich wrote:

Hi Tim go ahead and have that beer one isnt going to make any differance in wear time but like Bill said suppliers making them thinner and not as durable. I personally enjoy a cold one after cuttin...

Thanks ron in mich, it is always a puzzle; but we go onward. Thanks again, Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm


~jo~ wrote:

I've had my ileo since 2008 and have always used Hollister products.  Have noticed in the last few years that the bags have become quite lightweight and as you say "flexible" (not to mention crack...

Thanks jo, I will listen for you :). Tim

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:27 pm


Bill wrote:

Hello Ostotim.

Thanks for your questions;

I too have no idea about the effects of alcohol on bag wear and I agree with AlexT about a possible reason for less wear time. However, there are many mo...

Thanks for replying Bill, and the search goes on. Nice to have info from others on this site. Tim

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
", "item": "https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewforum.php?f=7" }, { "@type": "ListItem", "position": "3", "name": "Ileostomy & one beer", "item": "https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13548" } ] }