Rectal Drain Pain: Seeking Advice for Discomfort and Spasms

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and advice for managing discomfort and spasms related to rectal drainage, providing helpful solutions and support for those experiencing these issues.
Kazzikat

Hi folks,

I had emergency stoma surgery at the end of June due to a leak in my bowel following resection the previous month, which resulted in sepsis. This was all in response to a cancerous tumor.

They gave me a rectal drain into the bowel during the stoma surgery, which I still have. It has about 10mls coming out of it every 5 days, so they are reluctant to remove it in case fluid pools in my bowel and causes another infection. I've recently been hospitalized with a second bout of sepsis and in the past few weeks, the drain has become very painful. I feel like my body is rejecting it and trying to push it out. I have constant pain internally and can feel its presence all the time. It's stopping me from sleeping, and I'm tired and cranky all the time. I'm taking over-the-counter codeine meds to manage the pain at the moment. They repositioned the drain during my last hospital stay and said that there was fibrosis around the top of the drain. The manipulation has made the pain and discomfort worse. I'm at my wits' end. There is no angle I can secure it that seems to be comfortable, and it seems to be pressing on painful spots all the time, causing spasms, shooting nerve pains, and a general ache. I'm unable to walk properly with it in place, and I'm worried about my muscle fitness as I'm starting chemo in a few weeks. Sorry for such a long post, but I would love to know if anyone has experience of anything similar and might have some advice. I'm struggling to deal with this.

Thank you

Kazzikat

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Diamondflo

I'm so sorry. My situation is not that, but I would definitely keep you in prayer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Kazzikat
Reply to Diamondflo

Thank you.

SallyK

I am sorry, I cannot help but send loads of love and positive vibes your way.

CircleC

My heart goes out to you.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TerryLT

It sounds like what you are going through is terrible! I'm so sorry. I'm wondering if your doctors are aware of the level of pain and discomfort you are in, and if they think this is normal or acceptable? Is there a chance of getting an opinion from another doctor? I hope things start to improve for you soon.

Terry

Kazzikat
Reply to TerryLT

I'm happy to say I saw my consultant on Friday and they removed the drain as they felt it was causing more harm than good. I just have to hope that there isn't another build-up of fluid and infection, but for the moment I am much more comfortable.

TerryLT
Reply to Kazzikat

So glad to hear it!