Swimming with an Ostomy: Tips for Men

Replies
Views
Bosco

I'm rather new at this and would like to know how others handle swimming when you have an ostomy--especially the men? My wife and I are going on a cruise in about 2 weeks and I am really anxious about swimming. My colostomy is high on the left (above the beltline). I normally use Sensura 2-piece. It has been suggested that I use a short-sleeve wetsuit but I think that would be awfully hot in the tropics. What do you think?

Miss Scarlet

Hi Bosco
I model swimsuits for a company who make swimwear for people with stomas. I notice you live in America. There will be companies in America, I am sure, who specialize in this type of swimwear. The company I work for has high-waisted men's swimming trunks and you cannot possibly tell the person has an ostomy. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.
Maureen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
juzza13

Hi Miss Scarlet, have you got any web addresses of the swimsuits?

Miss Scarlet
Hi Juzza13
The company I work for is just starting up and will have a catalogue and website soon. I will put up a post when Glitter Beach Swimwear's website becomes available. Hope this helps.
Maureen
thepiz

Get yourself a bathing suit that comes up higher on the waist...put it on and enjoy yourself.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
loxleyfinger

Bosco

Check out www.stealthbelt.com; I ordered one for my cruise and I'm really impressed.

Mike

Past Member

Loxley, I wear the stealth belts even to sleep in, they are awesome. I can go buy food or shopping and no one can see anything. I bought two black ones at $55.00 a piece and worth the price, but will get one of the ones that they were out of material later. I know some are higher than others, but the black standard do the same thing and look like a purse on your tummy and are the same and so cool, I couldn't make it without them. Glad to see you found Richard, the guy who sells them. You call and tell him to do the black ones for $55.00, he advertises that. He is a cool guy and I like him as a salesman. Have fun on your trip and no one will know you have a bag, just like me, zip it in the silk. Love, Jenny PS. Wear the thin white one that snaps to your bag under the stealth belts and you won't have any problems, at least I don't once I figured it out. Husband helped.

loxleyfinger

Thanks for the info...talked to Richard and he advised they are about 3 weeks behind schedule and the $55 was a promo. I got mine in time but think they are back up to $75. By the way, do you use any sort of stoma protector? Also, confirm that the zipper goes under the belt and the bottom of the flange goes through the hole. Stoma guard, stoma cap, etc....
Mike

Past Member

No stoma protector, just me watching so no one hits me. I guess it is how you feel about it if you are worried they do sell those products. I am glad you got the promo price and I do not feel those are expensive because that is a lot of work and they are custom made. I do not dry mine in the dryer and have extra to change into. I hang them and I think they will last a long time. I hope you have good luck and if you feel you need a stoma protector you could ask Richard because he swims with his bag all the time and has the freedom we all want. God bless you and good luck, JG or Jenny

loxleyfinger

Jenny
Does the zipper go on the top or bottom of the belt? Mine fits best on the top but would be easier to drain pouch if on the bottom.
Mike

chrisology

Please could you tell me which companies do nice swimwear for us guys, apart from that White Rose? I go to Turkey in 3 weeks so would love to get some new ones. Many thanks.

Miss Scarlet
The web address for Glitter Beach swimwear is www.glitterbeach.co.uk. I think it is now up and running. Hope this is what you are looking for.
Maureen
Gus

Wear one of those sunshirts, like a light rashie but made of swimsuit material. It offers sun protection and holds your pooper in place.