Bleeding Stoma - Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to managing a bleeding stoma, offering support and solutions for individuals facing similar challenges.
jalrein

I received such great responses to my pancaking problem, I thought I'd delve a little deeper. Does anyone besides me have a stoma that bleeds? I have a two-piece system, and occasionally, if I just nick the stoma while taking off my bag, it will bleed. However, I have recently had a stoma that has little dots of areas that bleed when I'm just sitting back with everything off while changing my system. Sometimes it's worse than others, but I'm curious if others have this sometimes nerve-wracking issue. It never hurts since the stoma has no nerve endings; it's just a little scary when this happens. Any help will be immensely appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Jalrein, yes mine is the same, especially when I'm cleaning up around the stoma and then drying the skin around it with TP.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Justbreathe

Yes, I previously had 1 itsy bitsy spot that occasionally had a pinpoint bleed - however, it was not the stoma but rather the very sensitive skin around the stoma - would even burn when I'd apply stoma powder.

Update: It has actually gone away since I started using the thin barrier shield (as recommended by ostomates on this site) which I apply directly to the pouch.

Note: I do not use a 2-piece system.

AlexT

Your stoma is very easy to irritate and will bleed very easily. 99% of the time it'll stop very quickly.

Justbreathe

Question? - Questions related to stoma bleeding are confusing me (OK, so it's not that difficult to confuse me), but I am wondering: do these questions mean the stoma is actually bleeding, or is it the peristomal skin immediately surrounding the actual stoma?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

I've actually hit my stoma before and it bleeds very quickly. However, 99% of the times I've had blood, it's right at the base of the stoma where the skin meets because I irritate (hard to believe I could irritate anything) that area while cleaning any residue or output off.

jalrein
Reply to Justbreathe

For me, it's the actual stoma that has bleeding spots. Little drop-like spots that bleed occasionally. As Ron stated, mine does the same, it stops with a little cloth pressure....

ron in mich
Reply to Justbreathe

Hi JB, it's my stoma that bleeds, not the surrounding area which I try to keep in good shape by changing my pouch and wafer on a regular basis.

Justbreathe

Thanks for all these responses - they are the "helpful" replies that make this site so important to me. Although mine has never bled, if it does happen to me, the knowledge of others having the issue will quell any panic!