Colonoscopy through stoma: Experiences and advice?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi! Has anyone had a colonoscopy through the stoma? How was it! I have one coming up and I'm so nervous..

Past Member

I've had a few both with and without anesthesia. Neither were terrible, also didn't have to prep much other than to switch to all clear liquids for 24ish hours before. (I have an ileostomy)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi New,

Nothing to get nervous or worry about at all! It's usually normal bowel prep the night before and then they'll ask you your name and date of birth about 50 times while they put the IV in.......and then the anesthesiologist will chat with you to make sure they get that right......then wheel you into the exam room. They'll be chit-chatting and getting everything ready and then the anesthesiologist will simply tell you to count down from 100...........and 96 is all you'll remember getting to. You'll wake up in the recovery area with a smiling face looking at you, who'll check your vitals and offer you some apple juice and a Graham Cracker! A few minutes later they'll hand you your clothes and tell you to get dressed while they contact your ride home and tell them you're ready. Just before you go the Doc (or an assistant) will come in and tell you how it went. You'll probably sleep on the way home, or when you get there........and a few hours later you'll be as good as new!! You got this, so put it out of your mind until the night before.......it's easy-peasy!!!

;O)

Bob

Maried
Reply to w30bob

Bob, you have got that procedure down pat. The best part is when you wake up, knowing the procedure is over. The worst part is the clean out the night before.

AlexT

Took about 15 minutes and I remember nothing except the ceiling getting all blurry.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
MrsBubba
Reply to w30bob

I just need to thank you so very much for your post. I just signed up to this site this early morning and this was the first question I saw posted. I to have an upcoming appointment for my first colonoscopy to go through my 5-month-old stoma. I am praying for a reversal after all is said and done. I've been feeling scared out of my mind until I read your response. All I can say is.... thank you thank you thank you. You just did this gal a world of good!! Positive thoughts going your way for all that you are going through. Again.... thank you.

ron in mich

Hi all. The part I like is if you wear a 2pc. system, they just pop the pouch off, do the scoping, and the pouch is back on and you're done. The hardest part for me is the fasting and clear liquids for a day.

AlexT
Reply to ron in mich

They did mine right through a one-piece without taking the pouch off.

Ben38

Yes, I have one every year. I have an ileostomy. It's completely pain-free. No sedation or bowel prep needed. It's really interesting watching the screen seeing the scope inside you, just slightly uncomfortable when they put gas in to blow you up so they have a clearer view. The doctor will push their finger in your stoma first just to see which way they need to push the scope. It's pain-free, just feels strange seeing someone pushing their finger in. With an ileostomy, the scope won't go any further than 24" in at best, usually not even that far from scar tissue inside. It's slightly different from what I've read if you have a colostomy, but as I don't have one, I will leave that for the members with colostomies to say.

Past Member
Reply to w30bob

Thank you so much!

Past Member
Reply to MrsBubba

I hope you get your reversal. I'm trying to do the same. Best of luck to you!

Tense62
Reply to w30bob

Hi, Bob is right on the button...you might just need a driver to take you home after the procedure. No worry, everything will be fine. You got this!

Sunshinealot
Reply to w30bob

Does the colonoscopy damage the stoma? Mine is quite flat and only 1".

Sunshinealot
Reply to AlexT

Sunshinealot
Reply to Ben38

Sunshinealot
Reply to Maried

Sunshinealot
Reply to ron in mich

Sunshinealot

Hookem26

I just had one done last week.  I had been dreading it but it was actually not as awful as expected.  I ate very lightly for two days prior to liquid only day.  The purge was not as painful as it used to be pre colostomy. Went in, got knocked out bad da boom it was done.  Took a couple of days before the bag had much accumulated afterwards.  Got the good news that reversal is possible so I’m more optimistic now