Golfing with a Stoma: Tips for a Worried Golfer?

Replies
Views
jalrein

I was an avid golfer before I had my surgery and stoma. I played since I was 5 years old and I played a lot of tournament golf until this happened to me 2+ years ago. Has anyone here played with their stoma? I have a very small parastomal hernia and I routinely wear a belt with the hole for my bag to come out. I can make it as tight or loose as I choose. My surgeon has told me as long as I keep it very tight, I can't make the hernia worse. Needless to say, I'm very scared as I'm taking a trip this Friday and planning on golfing a few times. Help? Lolol

AlexT

As long as you're fully healed, I'm not sure why there would be any issues.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LetsGoGolfing

Definitely still playing golf with an ileostomy. Just need to "be prepared" and maybe wear comfortable elastic waistline pants so you're not putting too much pressure against your stoma area. I found that I can't eat at the turn like I used to, else my stoma will be too active and find myself looking for a restroom by the time I get to the 11th tee. LOL. Really hope you get back out there and enjoy your improved health outside on the course.

darick

Check out https://www.stealthbelt.com/, great support for activities like this. I play polo, scuba dive, race cars, etc. A stoma shouldn't stop you from enjoying life.

dave.mccrea.278

Are they new to the tour?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Jalrein, I used to golf every Sunday with my in-laws. They rode their cart and I would walk 9 holes, but no more golf for me as my back is shot.

Grammybec

I have been playing golf since about 6 months after my colostomy surgery with no problems. I also have a huge hernia and it doesn't really bother me when I turn.

Start out with nine holes and see how you do. It's my favorite pastime so I know you are anxious to get back out on the links. Good luck and hit them long, straight and few!

jalrein
Reply to Grammybec

OMG Grammy, thanks for the update. I'm curious, was your hernia small when you started? Did it get larger as you played? Thank you so much though, relieved to know I should be able to play. Going out this Sunday for the first time in 2 1/2 years.....

ScottyB

I like to play quite a bit, just retired here in AZ on a course.... I went and explained what was going on so now I can play with my shirt out, hence no belt!!! Bought a bunch of the Ostomy waist pocket pouches for securing the bag!! Back to a 10 handicap and swinging away.

Best of luck

IGGIE

No, I use a golf club.

Katiedid

You got this!! I'm a former bodybuilder and still workout daily. I wear my belt when I do any exercise and it totally helps. For me, being prepared is key. I always have a quick change emergency kit handy just in case. I haven't needed it, but it just gives me peace of mind.

Have a fantastic trip and enjoy every minute.

Monsieur Le President

I played rugby for 17 seasons from the age of 30.

So I'm sure golf is okay.

chico

Hi there, I've had an ileostomy for about 4 years and have had no issues golfing or playing ice hockey. I wear a StealthBelt regularly and it keeps everything intact and in check for me.

sunburst

I play golf regularly. I don't have a hernia issue but do not feel any torque in that area. There are belts you can get specifically to help with hernias. My main issue is sweat and tape integrity. I use extenders to help fix that.
Good luck and keep it in the short stuff!

stevenledlow98

I had a permanent colostomy 2 years ago, and I play every week that I can. The only issue I have, of course, is my stoma sticks out a lot, so I have to wear a 3X shirt. But other than that, I'm good.

Bumba

I have played golf with an ostomy, but I find a golf club is more effective! Only kidding. Yes, you can do anything you really want. I have 60 years of experience with an ostomy.

lacemaker

I have two stomas. I have had them for years. I usually only play 4 or 5 days a week, but I have no problems when I do.

TEA17

Yes, I still play golf, in fact I took it up after my ileostomy 48 years ago. I usually will take 1/2 of an Imodium about 45 minutes before my tee time to reduce output while playing. Doesn't really help my putting however.

Okra

I would say from my experience golfing, you could play more effectively with a golf club than a stoma.

Texastom2

Go ahead and play. Just make sure you have an emergency change with you in case something happens. I use extenders when I play during the hottest part of summer. It helps keep everything in place. When I sweat, the adhesive weakens and my skin barrier will loosen up. I also snow ski and have not had an issue. Of course, it is much colder then and you don't sweat as much.

pfk914

I have had an ileostomy for over 55 years and have played golf on a regular basis before and after my surgery. I also have a small hernia and will periodically wear my Nu-Hope belt depending on how I feel. I like a little extra security on hot days, but it's not as much of an issue in cold weather. My advice: Hit it straight and keep playing.

Killshot_24523

This is great news. I just started golfing a couple of months before my diagnosis. We are planning a family trip in June, 6 months after my surgery, and I was hoping to play. Sounds like I can.. Woohoo...