Off-center stoma opening causing leakage - any solutions?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Little Stinker

Does anyone else have an opening on the stoma that is at the side and not the center? I'm wondering if this is what causes poo under the flange. And any ideas on what to do about it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Muna

Mine is listing to the side also, and I do think it may contribute a little. But since I have become more savvy using those moldable rings, I do not have anything sneaking under the flange/wafer anymore. I push it through the cutout hole and make a turtle neck around the stoma. All leaks begin in that area.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

I hang to the left a bit.

Caz67
Reply to AlexT

You beast, you Alex XX.

w30bob

Hi Stinky,

Yeah, mine is on the extreme right side, and I had the same issue you're talking about. Solving it really depends on how far your stoma sticks out from your surrounding skin. If it's flush, you may be out of luck..........no pun intended. If it does protrude some, then using a convex barrier will help......but really it's the ring that's critical. You may find you need to actually back the ring off a bit, meaning leave a little space between the ring and your stoma in that location. Otherwise, your output impinges directly on the side of the ring and ends up sneaking under it. And then instant leak. You might also want to try the liquid barrier paste and sort of build a ramp from the side of your stoma up to the level of the ring, essentially blocking off access to the side of the ring. It's gonna be a pure trial and error thing for you until you find what works. I was changing my barrier every other day for the past 7 years, as that's about how long it would take for my output to start working its way under my barrier ring. Switching to the Sensura Mio Convex Flip about a year ago has allowed me to extend that to every third day, and right now I'm actually on my 4th day as a trial. I could probably go longer, but I want to keep an eye on my stomal skin to make sure nothing gets out of hand. Your other options are to have a surgical stoma revision.........or.......I think I remember seeing a new device that acts as a lip that you put over your stoma and it guides your output over the barrier. I'm thinking Lovely posted that a while ago......but my memory is for shit lately......so I could be wrong. By the way...........where is Lovely........haven't seen her in a while. Hope she's ok!!

;O)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill

Hello Little stinker.

My stoma was perfectly formed at first with the hole dead centre. however, with the enlargement of a hernia on one side everything was pushed over and now it exits more from the side.

The output simply needs to be channelled in the right direction, so there might be several solutions to the problem (some of them already mentioned).
I would suggest sending for a sample of the Salts Dermacol stoma collar (you will need to give them the size of your stoma as these things come in different sizes).

Eventually, my own solution was to make my own baseplates with a detachable 90degree bend which guides the output away from the stoma and into the sleeve/bag.

I did find that there were many fewer leaks if I regularly used an adhesive (glue) to stick the devices rather than rely on what the manufacturers put on their baseplates. I did use 7730  but it is now unavailable, so now I'm using 'Probond', which is a medical prosthetic adhesive and is working quite well. 
Solving these type problems is often all about experimentation and, what works for one person may not work for another. I have found that a number of resolutions to different stoma problems can come about by way of physical, practical prosthetics of one sort or another. However, this does mean a lot of experimentation and DIY which doesn't always work first time.

From my perspective, going down the surgical route (again) poses too many risks so simple 'gadgetry' is my preferred option. 

Maybe, if you try some or all of the suggestions proffered, you can find something that suits your needs. 

Best wishes

Bill  

ron in mich

Hi, lil stinker. After having my ostomy for 33 years, Crohn's had caused scar tissue to pull my stoma in and to the right so that the opening was at skin level and causing me to change the system every third day. I was also having blockages more often, so my PCP said it's time to have resection surgery. Now I have a stoma that flows like a garden hose and not like a soda straw.

Little Stinker

Thanks, y'all! I just tried paste which seemed to help a lot, but changed it yesterday after a huge leak and was in a hurry and forgot so I will have to see. This is all such fun, lol! No chance of being bored.

Killshot_24523

I squirt left.