Opinion on Matthew Perry's Life-Saving Ostomy

Replies
Views
gairdinspreagtha

I saw this article title about Matthew Perry having a life-saving ostomy. What's your opinion on the article?

https://www.ostomy.org/ostomy-surgery-saved-matthew-perrys-life-its-time-to-stop-the-stigmas/

AlexT

This was posted a little while back.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

If you want to sell a book, you have to give the readers what they want!

Honest opinion, in my view, most feel like it, especially in the early days... A reversal was never an option for me, but I would think when you know it is, you would hate the sight of stoma/bag and couldn't wait to get rid of it... I've had an ileostomy almost all of my adult life, never really bothered me, but when I had to have a temporary jejunostomy stoma for just over a year, I felt the same way about that as Mathew did. I even told doctors they should have left me to die, and when I went in for reversal back to ileostomy, I said if you can't do it, don't bring me back round from surgery... I'm just pleased to hear he's got help, and the thought of another bag is keeping him on the straight and narrow. Well done, Matt, keep fighting, you've done a great job beating your addiction.

HenryM

At the end of the cited article, the author says: "We ask that they also give a moment to help raise positive ostomy awareness..."  I wonder if any attempt was made to present Perry with an opportunity to do just that.

gairdinspreagtha

That's a good question. I was unaware that Matthew went through this, and my first thought before reading was hope that he would share and bring awareness. Perhaps he could make his own opportunity. Hollywood is good at that with other things.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bryce

I find Perry's redemption act wears a little thin, and he is only trying to sell more books. When you compare his previous behavior (targeting seniors' open houses to rifle their medicine cabinets) to his now request for forgiveness without contrition, it is, to me, all buffalo fluff!

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to Bryce

Until I saw this article, I was completely unaware of his addiction, the book, or anything he has done to feed the addiction. Targeting seniors' open houses? Wow.

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to Ben38

You do think like that at first. They are looking at trying to reverse mine in the next month or two. My first two weeks I looked at it as temporary and understood there were benefits to having it as I recuperated. My doctor made the comment I made friends with it. The next week I had my first blowout and I spent the next month at war with it and hating it.

Now it's hard to explain how I feel. Conflicted in some ways, and in other ways I'm okay no matter what.

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to AlexT

What was shared when it was posted before?