Comparing Hollister and Coloplast Ostomy Bags

Replies
Views
Killshot_24523

So, I'm new to this. I've had a bag, urostomy, for about 10 days. I've only used 2, both 1 piece. But, I found I like 1 and 1 I do not.

Here's the scoop.

The bag out of surgery was a Hollister. It was on for 4 days. The adhesive on the outer edge around the barrier ring irritated the skin. Not a fan. I don't like the valve for emptying. I thought I would, wrong.

Replaced with a Coloplast Sensura. The barrier ring adheres to the skin, nice. No irritation at all. The drain is just a plug. I think there are a couple benefits of the plug. The first is ease of use, but, be smart and hold it higher than the urine in the bag, don't ask why I know this. The second is when a night bag is attached it's flowing. With a valve you have to remember to make sure it's open.

I'm looking forward to trying the Coloplast Sensura Mia Click. I think I want a 2 piece to be able to wear vertical or horizontal depending on the activities I have planned. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Bill

Hello Killshot.

I don't know too much about bags for urostomies, but one of my ex-clients had what seemed like a very useful bag which had a tube going down his trouser leg to the level of his shoe. On the end of that was a tap for emptying.
I know this because, one day he asked for my help, and I got him to lean on me while he placed his foot on the toilet rim, and I undid the tap for him.
I recall thinking that this all seemed like a very practical, clean and efficient method of management for someone who had mobility issues.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Winnie The Pooh

Hi Killshot. I use Coloplast too, having tried Hollister, Convatec, and another. For me, it's a colostomy, but I guess it's a pretty similar system to yours. Coloplast Sensura Mio (one-piece) I liked for a number of reasons - the grey is less "medicinal"/granny's gusset than the flesh-colored ones, they don't crinkle and rustle as much as others, and the adhesive has been ultra-reliable. Maybe I have skin like a rhino 'cause I rarely get irritation, unless I've had to change it more than once a day.

OstoVol
Reply to Winnie The Pooh

I've had an ileostomy bag since 2014. I learned early on that wearing my bag sideways with a Spandex maternity pooch thingy works nicely. I've also used the two-pouch support from OstomySecrets for years, but it tended to pull on my bag (I wear two-piece pouching).

Two issues I have: I'm high output, so I require a longer bag with a tap. I also had a leak with sepsis two days after the colectomy and after being ripped back open during emergency surgery, I have irregular skin along with a parastomal hernia. Thus, the leaks have been a major problem. After trying configurations and samples from all the companies, I fell in love with the Convatec accordion flange barrier. It adheres flat, but the bag isn't right against the skin like other barriers. The bag is attached to a flexible accordion-like arm, thus it's away from the skin but it folds flat. If there should be a leak, it doesn't burn my skin as bad. The problem preventing me from using it is that the high output bag has a hard tap that doesn't squeeze. So things like corn, carrots, peas, etc., would clog in the tap, and I was having to dig it out with a Q-tip. That doesn't work out in public. My Coloplast high output bag is a soft tap which squeezes easily.

So I'm back to trying different products and configurations. Even my ostomy nurse concedes that it's a challenge. One would think that after eight years, I would have it figured out. I'm still searching for the Holy Grail of ostomy systems!

JamesArnod

Hi again. As you said you are new to the urostomy. I am not (10+ years). There is a world of difference between two different Hollister pouches.

I went about 9 years changing my bag every three days and having this irritation problem if I didn't blow dry it 100% dry... no fun for sure. However, about a year ago I changed to a different Hollister barrier ring. The ones I use now are 11505 Skin Barrier Ring with CeraPlus and same 18413 pouch I always used. With the new barrier ring I have done two things of great relief and importance. 1.) Totally stopped any irritation and 2.) Increased my wear time from 3 days to 7 days. (I could and have at times gone up to 9 days.) This proves out to be more economical even though the barrier rings are more costly. A win, win situation, try it out. I'm sure you will be quite as happy as I am.

Jim

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kb2720329
Reply to Winnie The Pooh

I agree. I am going through a system change at the moment and the Sensura Mio is the best so far. I have a urostomy.