Can I Eat Cooked Zucchini Skin?

Replies
Views
gairdinspreagtha

I was trying to come up with a food plan this week. I am sick of the same old. I saw a recipe for zucchini cut in strips, parmesan, salt, pepper, and cooked in tin foil in the oven. Can we eat cooked zucchini skin? Or do I need to take it off?

I know it's probably a stupid question.

Ben38

Try a small amount of the skin first. Then, if it were to cause a problem, it will soon pass through. We're all different in what we can and can't eat, and the only way we can find out what's right or wrong for ourselves is to eat it. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,436 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maried

When I first saw your message, I thought you had a problem with your skin feeling or looking like zucchini!

AlexT

I'd just go to Taco Bell. Seriously, I wouldn't eat much of the skin off of any plants unless it's really well cooked (softened) and you chew it to mush.

xnine

What do you have, colo or ilio? Colostomy tolerates most foods, not so for ileostomy. We have deep-fried zucchini sticks with skin on occasionally, no problem. I have colostomy.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT

I have eaten zucchini, raw and cooked, many times without a problem. Just make sure to chew really well. The skin is not particularly hard to break down compared to the skins on some things.

Terry

Morning glory

You might just want to try a small amount to start with. Zucchini in tin foil should be pretty soft. Just remember to chew chew chew. Everyone's different and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

HenryM

With an ileostomy, I have eaten zucchini with skin many times, sometimes steamed, sometimes cooked in oven until mushy, sometimes by sauté in wok. 

IGGIE

I think if you cook it well, you will be okay, but chew it well as with most things.

Mr.Heart2Win

That sounds delicious! I eat pretty much everything without an issue. Mushrooms are a pain but well-chewed is okay. I love zucchini sautéed with butter, onions, other vegetables, and white wine. As someone said, it's different for everyone, just have to try it. I have learned tons by just reading the daily entries from people asking basic questions; all questions are great and a chance to learn something from someone with a different point of view, idea, or experience, or all of the above.

NancyCat

I slice zucchini and sauté it in garlic and olive oil, then top it with some Parmesan cheese and toss in some frozen meatballs and maybe some grape tomatoes and ta-da! A complete meal.

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to Maried

LOL, I'm green

Newbie Dana

Have you had your ostomy long? Seriously, I have had lots more problems eating things when my ostomy was new and my colon was still healing than I do now several years later. Also try new things a bit, and then more later, and so on. (All really good suggestions above!) I have zucchini both raw and cooked, skins and all. It provides enough roughage to keep things moving, since I cannot take anything like Metamucil for fiber (gives me horrible gas). But then, I do have more trouble with pancaking than with too liquid output, and I can't afford to let things compact and "clog up the pipes".

golfnutrgn47
Reply to Ben38

I have eaten small amounts of cooked and raw zucchini with a colostomy stoma. Have had no trouble. Stay away from insoluble fiber. Have found oatmeal, a soluble fiber, to be safe in reasonable amounts.

momsy777
Reply to Ben38

I find chewing fruits and veggies very thoroughly is the key to digesting them well. Zucchini skin has not been any problem for me.

BruceFan

I used to eat them with no problem but my system has become more sensitive. So now I peel them and don't eat a lot at once. Works for me.

Indiathecat

Hi. I'm new here and have had my colostomy since May. I initially ate beige food but have gradually added more variety. I eat zucchini (we call them courgettes in England), as long as it's cooked well. The skin is very soft and nothing like tomato/apples etc., skin. Try a small amount initially in casseroles and I'm sure it will be fine. There are still foods that I won't even attempt due to scary stories of blockages but courgettes/zucchini have been fine. Good luck. Julie

sunburst

I have a urostomy and eat cooked zucchini and yellow squash regularly with no issues. Either roasted, steamed, or stir-fried. No issues for me, but as previously stated, start with a small amount to see how it goes. Enjoy!

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to golfnutrgn47

What are some examples of insoluble fiber?

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to xnine

I have a colostomy since the end of July.

gairdinspreagtha
Reply to AlexT

I would love Taco Bell but the gallbladder is a cruel organ and it takes away the best foods. Even if you are good and eat right, it still decides to kick you in the teeth sometimes.

Yeoman-Bowman

I tend to shave the courgette skin with a potato peeler, leaving small amounts along the edges of the angles. They hold together well when cooked, and the amount of skin is small enough not to cause any problems.

CrappyColon
Reply to AlexT

Taco Bell -

Renfromtexas
Reply to gairdinspreagtha

You may be a kappa. Look it up if you don't know.