Recurring Blisters on Stoma - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
hambo999

Hi there, I have had a small blister-like sore on the outer tip of my stoma. It's been there for about four weeks now. It bursts when cleaning it and bleeds. It then sort of heals up for a few days, then the blister forms again. I have sent pictures to stoma nurses and they say it's nothing to worry about, but it's still there and still bleeding. What is concerning me is I just noticed another one on the opposite side of the stoma. Has anyone on here ever had something similar? Thanks.

AlexT

Nope. It's actually your stoma or where the skin attaches to your stoma?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,457 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

hambo999

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. It's on the outer tip of the stoma itself...

Bill

Hello Hambo. 

Thanks for your post as you describe this 'thing' quite well.

I've had one for about 18 months and it does just what you say. It does not appear to be getting too much worse but it also is not looking like going away anytime soon.  It didn't seem like the sort of thing that caused too much anxiety or needed medical attention, so I have just lived with it.

I look forward to hearing from others who may have experienced the same thing (especially those who have managed to get rid of it)!

Best wishes

Bill

hambo999
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill. It's good to share your problems and hiking etc.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Reply to hambo999

Hello Hambo.

Your post got me thinking this morning, that rather than ignoring the issue in the hope that it will either go away or not get any worse, I decided to give it a little thought.
Sometimes I get similar 'blisters' in my mouth, usually after eating or drinking something too hot or, after eating hard hot toast, which tends to act like sandpaper to the insides of my mouth. The little soars that result are not that dissimilar to the one on my stoma. Hence, this morning, I decided to try some Bonjella (Clear ointment) , which is quite effective for clearing up what I call mouth 'ulcers'.  
I often experiment with 'stuff' concerned with stomas, so there is no logical reason why this issue should not be approached in the same way. 

If I remember, I will come back to tell you if it works.

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi Hambo, yes I've had the same thing but they don't last very long, maybe a couple of weeks and they are gone. I always thought it was Crohn's acting up or a reaction to food maybe.

Ben38

With it bleeding sounds more like a granuloma. Completely harmless, but it's surprising how much those little things can bleed. I've known them to half fill the bag with blood. Your stoma nurse has seen the photo and says it's harmless, so I would take their word for it.

Most granulomas are easily removed with a silver nitrate stick. You can buy them at pharmacies. I wouldn't advise doing it yourself. If needed, it's best to let the stoma nurse do it for the first time. It just stings for a few minutes afterwards. I used to get a lot of them, and stoma nurses used to give me silver nitrate sticks to treat them myself at home.

Some granulomas can be difficult to get rid of, and doctors/stoma nurses can do a very minor procedure to cut or burn them off with a laser.

hambo999
Reply to Ben38

Yes, Ben, that's what she said. A granuloma when I showed her the photo. I only had one. I now have another very small one which is not bleeding yet. Do you know what causes them? Thanks and happy new year.

hambo999
Reply to Ben38

Yes Ben, that's what she said. A granuloma. When I showed her the photo, I only had one. I now have another very small one which is not bleeding yet. Do you know what causes them? Thanks and happy new year.

Ben38
Reply to hambo999

With them being on the tip of your stoma, it's likely from the bag itself rubbing on your stoma. It's one of those things that happens at times. You could try putting a blob of Sudocrem on them. It should help with the soreness and hopefully give you some protection until they clear up. Happy New Year.

Morning glory

I have had them a few times. They do go away. I just eat more yogurt. You may want to try.