Thyroid Troubles After Surgery: Anyone Else?

Replies
Views
Feb9HH

Just curious if anyone discovered after their surgery that their thyroid was out of whack? I went to the gyno and had her run some tests, and it came back off. I was put on Synthroid for hypo, and though the blood results came back normal after 6 weeks, I just don't feel right. I mean, besides the ridiculous amount of weight I've gained. I imagined I would be losing weight, not the opposite. Let me know if you too have been or have experienced this. Thanks!

AlexT

No idea but I do know if your thyroid is out of whack, weight gain can be a real issue (from a family member). But you look pretty skinny and about 19 in your profile picture so you probably have quite a ways to go before it would be an issue.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

I am definitely having issues trying to regulate my weight since my surgery. I was blaming it on Ben & Jerry - I cannot resist those two sweet guys. But maybe I should get my thyroid tested.

When you say "I just don't feel right," what do you mean?

TerryLT

Your doctor should have told you that weight gain is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, which is an underactive thyroid. The opposite condition, hyperthyroidism, is when your thyroid is overactive, and this often results in weight loss. You should ask if he/she thinks this will be a permanent condition, or will it get better. My thyroid was overactive a few years ago, but I was on some medication for it, which fixed it, and it has been normal ever since.

Terry

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

I need mine in hyper mode.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Feb9HH
Reply to AlexT

This has happened post picture. Pretty suddenly. It's an issue because I'm only 5 foot. :) Hey, but using the words "skinny" and "19" in the same sentence will certainly put a smile on my face.

Feb9HH
Reply to SallyK

Prior to my ileostomy, I was exhausted, hair was falling out, brain fog, some weight gain but it seemed like I would be able to control. I have sisters with thyroid issues so I asked to be tested. I came back hypothyroid. I was put on Synthroid. My most recent blood work says it's normal now. I don't like the way I feel on the medication and oddly gained more weight on it. No diet change. Just trying to see if maybe someone has a head start on how this might go. I do feel like my thyroid was probably before my ileostomy and had gone untreated undiagnosed.

Feb9HH
Reply to AlexT

Are they paying you to write nice things :). Pictures posted before weight gain