Post-Surgery Fatigue and Nausea: Is This Normal?

Replies
Views
gfk374

On November 16, 2022, I had surgery for a ruptured diverticulum and a temporary stoma. I have basically been pain-free for several weeks (although I have some discomfort in my gut). And even though I am much better, I still get fatigued in the evenings and a little nauseous in the morning. Is this normal? I have never had surgery before, so I guess I thought I would be doing handsprings by now. Lol. Just curious as to what others have experienced.
Thank you.
Franklin

Bapostolas

Surgery can play havoc on our bodies. Becoming fatigued is very normal and it can come on suddenly. I still have times I just hit the wall and my stamina is at 0 level. Hang in there you will get stronger and stronger. Nausea is also normal. I am not a doctor but I believe it's because of an empty stomach or meds. Maybe a small snack before bed will help. Hang in there, it does get better, it just takes time.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Hi Gfk, I'm not sure what normal is but I was tired after surgery as well. Hope you feel better soon.

gfk374
Reply to Bapostolas

Thanks for the reply. I am active. I think I just overdo it sometimes. Went to church yesterday. Stood around and talked to people for a long time. Then went out to eat. Came home and crashed. It's tempting to hang out in the recliner but my surgeon said "be up and walking". But I rest when I need to. My surgery was 9 weeks ago.

gfk374
Reply to Bapostolas

Thanks for the reply. I am active. I think I just overdo it sometimes. Went to church yesterday. Stood around and talked to people for a long time. Then went out to eat. Came home and crashed. It's tempting to hang out in the recliner but my surgeon said "be up and walking". But I rest when I need to. My surgery was 9 weeks ago.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
gfk374
Reply to Bapostolas

Not sure how I posted that twice.

Ben38

I've had lots of surgery. All I can say is fatigue is normal for me after surgery. It all takes a lot out on our bodies. Nauseous, yes, but that's a normal daily thing for me from another health problem.

It might be too soon after surgery to show up yet, but if fatigue continues, a blood test for B12 deficiency would be worth asking your doctor about.

Morning glory

It takes a while for our bodies to get back to normal after any surgery. Rest when you need to. Listen to your body.

CrappyColon

How's your fatigue now?