Eating Canned Carrots with Ileostomy: Safe or Risky?

Replies
Views
Doreen 21
Feb 02, 2023 8:46 pm

I have a new ileostomy. Still struggling with what I can and can't eat. Just wondering if I can eat canned carrots without them causing a blockage? Thanks

CrappyColon
Feb 02, 2023 8:58 pm

The canned ones are cooked already so heat them up and you're good to go. Start small and see what you can tolerate.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Feb 02, 2023 9:02 pm

I can and have done for over 30 years and freshly grown ones from my allotment.

All you can do is try everything in small portions to see if it's right for yourself then if it was to cause a problem it won't be that bad.

Doreen 21
Feb 02, 2023 9:23 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Ah, that's good to know. Thank you.

Doreen 21
Feb 02, 2023 9:24 pm
Reply to Ben38

Thank you, that's reassuring.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Ostomy4life_22
Feb 02, 2023 10:59 pm

It's like someone told me on here a few months ago, sometimes you've got to try it to decide if it's what works for you. I have a colostomy and ate some canned carrots the other week and didn't have an issue. So I hope the same goes for you.

Axl
Feb 02, 2023 11:07 pm

Eat them all the time, but some of them come out in the same form as they entered the stomach so help them out by chewing properly, start small.

Charleston man
Feb 02, 2023 11:28 pm

I eat them raw and cooked. I have had my ileostomy for 13 years. Try small portions and as my then nurse told me, chew, chew, chew. The smaller the better.

Past Member
Feb 02, 2023 11:36 pm

Yes.

Cooked, raw, even straight out of the ground with a quick wash of the hose, all good to go!

elwick
Feb 03, 2023 9:00 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi, I have found that I can eat fresh carrots as well as tinned, providing that they are very well cooked (boiled) until they are soft.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Feb 03, 2023 8:23 pm

Yep, just chew real well and don't be surprised if waste changes color to match. Enjoy.

bevers
Feb 06, 2023 12:49 am
Reply to Doreen 21

Hi, when you first have an ostomy, I remember being frightened of everything I ate. So small amounts are best if it's not a food you had since your surgery. The important thing to know is that you need to chew your food very well and take your time eating.

Torresbeto
Feb 06, 2023 11:21 am

I make a purée of steamed carrots, garlic, butter, salt and pepper

dmo101
Feb 06, 2023 3:26 pm

With my ileostomy, raw carrots in small portions. Cooked carrots a bit bigger portion.

Panor
Feb 06, 2023 8:21 pm

I just passed my 25th anniversary with a stoma and have eaten both canned and fresh carrots for all those years. I have had good luck with most all vegetables and only have had issues with corn. As someone else said, try small portions and see where it takes you. Each person's stoma activity is different so experiment, don't just take everyone's word as their stoma may react totally differently than yours. You may be surprised what you can still enjoy in moderation.

R1Kirby
Mar 20, 2024 2:10 pm

I can eat carrots with no problem. I also can eat peas and carrots and jarred pickled beets. Introduce new foods slowly. Remember, chew, chew, chew. I have had an ileostomy for 8 months now with no problems.