Ostomy Shape Change: Normal at 3 Months Post-Surgery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ostomy4life_22

Hello all!!

Last night as I was changing my ostomy, I had noticed that the shape of my ostomy was different. It went from an oval shape to round or at least starting to look round. Is it normal for this to happen? I'm 3 months post colostomy surgery so I'm sure things are still changing for me. But any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

So happy to have found this group!

Mindy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

Yes, it's normal even in 30+ years. Time stoma's can change size and shape anytime. That's why we should measure our stoma's once a month, however long we've had one for. I should take my own advice. I often forget to measure my own, lol.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

Sounds pretty normal to me.

gentlejohn

Yes, stomas can change and mature over time. It is normal. Be thankful that it is more round now. That allows you to use pre-cut barriers if you don't irrigate.

Stomas are life-changing as well as life-saving. You are in the right place asking questions and looking for tips.

TerryLT

As others have said, completely normal. I was told by the ostomy nurse at the hospital not to go out and buy a lot of ostomy supplies until the shape and size of my stoma had 'stabilized' and to measure it before cutting my appliance every time because it could change at any time over the first few months.

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK

Welcome Mindy. I have had my colostomy for almost 3 years now and still use the plastic backing from the previous wafer as a template for cutting the new one. I use a 2-piece system so I can hold the newly cut wafer over my stoma to make sure there is at least 1/4" all the way around before I commit to it. I do this because "the only thing constant is change".... who said that? LOL.

TerryLT
Reply to SallyK

Ask Henry, he's bound to know!

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

LOL I'm sure he does!

Google says "Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher, is quoted as saying "Change is the only constant in life."