Intestine Sticking Out: Is This Normal?

Replies
Views
weslebaronharris

I'm told that it's normal to have an outie, but my intestine is sticking out and doing its best to look like one of the worms from Dune. Is this normal, or not? I've found materials on prolapsed stomas, but this isn't nearly as bad as any of the pictures. It looks healthy, but it's sort of weird seeing it like that.

Celia1552

Hi Weslebaronharris! Has it recently changed? In shape or color? Is it working like usual? Sometimes new stomas change around and settle down then may change a bit on and off....I have food allergies and if I eat something that is problematic mine will swell up a bit...if it is a noticeable change to you, check with your doctor! I actually named mine Alien when I woke up in a morphine fog two or three weeks after back-to-back emergency surgeries....I looked down to see this "thing" moving around in a little space suit taped to my belly and all I could think of was that scene in the movie Alien when that creature came ripping out of S. Weaver...lol...then I hit that morphine button and drifted off....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weslebaronharris

Mostly, it was an innie until maybe 2 weeks ago. Now it looks like an alien worm bursting out of my belly. It wriggles around quite a bit. But coloration and shape are still normal. It went from being inside of the stoma, to about 2-3 inches outside.

Celia1552
Reply to weslebaronharris

I would have it checked out! Mine has always been almost even with my belly...it was to be temporary for 7 weeks for resection to heal then reversal... Unfortunately it has taken over two years for me to heal but I am now in the process of tests to get final clearance for reversal. About three weeks ago I got a blockage and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days and now my stoma is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch more pronounced... Surgeon checked it at the hospital and it's ok but just a tiny bit bigger... Good luck and take care of you!

weslebaronharris

I just measured it, it's about 2.5 mm or an inch in length. Not as far out as I thought. Metric thinking in English measurement is inaccurate.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Celia1552
Reply to weslebaronharris

I would probably have it checked for peace of mind. I have a tendency to rough things out but was told by my surgeon not to ignore things in reference to this. Your guy might just be settling down, but it never hurts to be sure!

IGGIE

G'day Wesle, 2.5mm is very small, mine is 2.5cm, about 1 inch in the old measurement, and it's perfect. It started out flush and has grown over the last 8 months to this size. Talk to your stoma nurse for peace of mind. Regards, Iggie

Bill

Hello  weslebaronharris.
Your stoma sounds as if it about the same size as mine has always been -on average. I add the 'average' bit because mine changes shape and length on a regular basis. As long as it is still working effectively, I figure that I should still be grateful to have this option over the previous alternatives.
There are advantages in having a protruding stoma as compared to an 'innie'. My original surgeon pointed these out to me prior to my surgery explaining that these were the reasons he preferred this outcome.

With all these things, if you are at all concerned about your own stoma, it is probably best to talk it over with a stoma nurse to get their opinion and some reassurance about the situation.
Best wishes

Bill