Hair Removal Around Stoma: Any Tips?

Replies
Views
Jayshark

Wondering if anyone has ever done any type of hair removal (laser, other....) procedure on the area around your stoma. I'm considering it but am curious if there's anything I need to consider that I'm not thinking about.

AlexT

Nope. I just use an electric bikini shaver, works fine.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,467 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee

Well, not for the weak-minded or snowflakes. It works for me, so I use my skinning knife. Nice and sharp, it gives a nice close shave because a razor has a guard. Didn't get close enough to Hector, and pulling hairs at first was like pulling a hair from your nose. Have a good day.

Jayshark
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, Alex. That's what I use now, but I'd like to see if there's a more permanent solution.

AlexT
Reply to Jayshark

It's not permanent but Veet might work for longer times than shaving. Bodybuilders use it to remove their body hair.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ben38

I've seen lots of posts over the years asking about laser hair removal around stoma but never seen anyone say they've had it done. I think it's just a case of you making an appointment to see a doctor/ostomy nurse to see what they say and if they will do it, I wouldn't trust anyone other than a doctor/ostomy nurse going near my stoma myself.

BobMac21
Reply to Jayshark

Would be interested myself to know if anyone has tried laser hair removal. I shave the area after removing glue and tweeze out hairs that ingrow under the barrier. Clean, smooth skin is essential for the barrier/wafer to adhere without gaps. Depending on how often you change the barrier, if it leaks, you'll get an acid burn.

Casper9
Reply to AlexT

Be careful with the Veet, it can cause chemical burns. Not something you want on the skin around your stoma. If you choose to use Veet or any product like it, do a patch test first and don't leave it on too long. Good luck!

Casper