Sleeping Through the Night: High Output Bag Game Changer

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses how to manage high output ostomy bags to improve sleep quality and prevent leaks during the night.
Lizprimary

Hi warriors.
Just wanted to share about my experience.
I felt very tired all the time because I wake up 2-3 times per night to empty and had trouble falling back to sleep. I was grateful that somehow my body knew to wake up to empty before there were any disasters.
Anyway, some people in a Facebook group talked about the high output bags and so I called Coloplast and ordered some samples.
I usually wear a 2-piece convex Sensura Mio system by Coloplast and I can still use the same wafer with the high output bag.
For me, it's a game changer. I have now slept through the night 10 nights in a row because I didn't have to wake up to empty. The bag is big but during the day I just sort of fold it over and I don't find it to be uncomfortable or even noticeable under my clothes. Plus if I can't get to a place to empty right away I will be ok as the capacity in this bag is way more.
Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case anyone else may benefit from this solution I have found for myself.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Yes to sleeping through the night!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

I don't have the issue of needing to empty very often at night but why not just put a regular bag back on once you start your day?

SallyK

That's wonderful. Sleep is so important.

Mr.Heart2Win

I've made a comment before about the benefits of the Coloplast large output bags. It is counterintuitive but for a tall man as I am it is so easy to hide, much easier than anything I've ever worn before. Because of my height the bag ends by my lower groin, so whatever happens it is always well below the belt line and because I'm in my normal weight, my stomach is kinda flat, so then you don't see anything, even when there is a substantial amount in there, I don't even notice it, and I hug people, get close, even cuddle, and the other person can not tell! I hug people all the time, friends and family and they don't feel anything, I just move my left leg backwards a bit, and it is not noticeable at all, even with output in it. It is total freedom for me, add to that a healthy diet and you never have to worry about anything, so easy to hide. Also during intimacy it is the easiest to fold and hide just because it is just a little tip instead of this big clumsy and heavy opening of the regular bags. I had the hardest times trying to hide the other bags with the big openings, could never do it fully well. I don't empty at night pretty much due to my diet and the fact I stop eating around 2 pm, maybe an apple or snack after, just a habit that gives me enormous freedom, only have one meal a day, enough for me. But, I cheat all the time, lol, can't resist chocolate or pastries. Gained pounds during the holidays, process of losing it, trying! The feeling of being somewhere and knowing that nothing will happen no matter what you eat or gas, or anything is awesome. I wear a ring, I forget I have this all day, that's right, a big output bag makes it all go away. Thanks to this, I don't ever give this condition a thought, makes it all so normal, have as normal life as the next guy, and better, much easier to clean, just a little tip, and quick and much more hygienic than a regular butt lol. I don't spend any time at the restroom, so easy to handle. I think being tall is what makes it work so well, not sure about that but it is worth trying. I can meet with a friend, date, or family and eat away if that is what we want, Chinese, Italian, fish, Mexican, clam chowder, whatever you throw at it, it's got your back, and when I get up from the table you can see nothing, falls between the legs and the crotch area hides it, just genius. And it is also so thin, compared to some others that are heavy and clumsy, if empty you can run into me which family has done and will feel absolutely nothing because the tip is small and is well below completely hidden, also the thing is so thin it's unnoticeable. Just love this bag and the enormous freedom it has and keeps giving me. I highly recommend this for newbies, it will avoid them embarrassment because it is pretty much leak-free if you use a ring, the tip you would have to yank it off to open it. With a regular bag with velcro I had accidents where they would open due to sudden moves or the wrong moves, this will not happen with this tip, impossible, could play rugby and wouldn't open, that is how secure it is. If you are new to the ostomy world, definitely try it, will avoid that learning curve where all bad things and leaks happen. One less thing to worry about, peace of mind. I wish I'd known about this in the beginning, had so many accidents lol, funny now but not then. Let's say you eat Chinese, meet a friend, with this bag, you will not have to get up 25 minutes after due to gas or the bulging of the food, you will get up after an hour, thing is you will not even think you have a bag, the confidence is complete, eat away, and just like anybody else get up after an hour or more, chat, laugh have a great time with no worries, then get up and clean only once. I can not say enough how it changed everything, if you try it I hope it works as well as it has for me, good luck!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lizprimary
Reply to AlexT

I can't put it back on because I use the type that sticks and I can't re-stick it on after I take it off to switch out the bag. Someone told me about a click system and I might give that a try.