Hernias

In this discussion
Replies
Views
goldengirl
I just spent forever typing a message an lost it..ugh..wow an I was on a roll..ok I'm gonna try one more time..now..I have a colostomy had rectal/anus cancer..since then had surgeries for hernias...obstrutions...all in all I have been hospilitized at least 7 times after my cancer surgery...had surgeries for hernias an obstructions..last time was a big mess..had hernia repair..had more small intestine removed..adhesions an obstructions...thought my surgeon was gonna have a breakdown..lol...anyway I ended up with major complications...had 3 blood transfusions...infection in my kidneys..blood an lungs..stayed in intensive care unconcious for a week...they didnt think I would pull through...but voila...I beat the odds again an after 5 weeks in that place..I walked out..ok wheeled out..anyway heres the story now...oh an keep in mind that I have lupus also...have whole bunch of issues going on with stoma who I call "harry"...an in having test done found a another big hernia lower stomach which is wrapped around my small instestines an theres a small obstruction...an a smaller one over my stoma that is causing me all kind of issues..an they are very painful...ok so I go see colorectal surgeon an he says that it would be a big surgery with complications an he feels that I wouldn't be able to survive it again..ugh...but if they get worse or the obstruction does well of course he would have to do emergeny surgery..ok so I ask if there is anything I can use to like hold everything in place cause my stomach is just mush an he says it would be more painful...so he increased my pain meds...woohoo..I alrealdy take pain med for lupus...ok so I can't lift bend stretch blah blah blah...an when I walk they hurt or climb stairs an when I stand I have to hold the bottom of my stomach..so unattrative..lol...holy moly...I',m a big ole mess...has any one have these hernia problems continuosly? Any ideas to maybe give me somekind of support for stomach...I'm frustrated an quite frankly a little scared...seriously the last time was really bad..thanks my friends for listening an your support..xoxo
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice
So sorry you have so much going on... but you still are holding on - that's wonderful.

There are loads of different hernia belts out there. You can even have some made special order just to accommodate what is happening where on the belly.

The first step would be to see an Ostomy Nurse. They, not the docs, deal with this every day and know what is out there and what is possible or not.

Most hospitals can put you in touch with an ostomy nurse.

I have a belt and wear it when I'm more active... to help the little hernia that is niggling at me (not fully developed) from coming through. It's not the most comfortable thing to wear, but it works.

Hth and all the best.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mooza
Agree, I have one on each side. Had issues as well, stoma reversal a few years ago. Anyway, in Oz here, there are so many hernia belts. You could poke a stick and also knickers. I don't know how you could get the unisex boxers. They are very popular. Giving time into going to our association, I have seen a hernia like a basketball. Oh yes, I did ask to have a look. He wears the hernia belt and doesn't complain (I do). Now I have been told I have two hernias, both sides. Please go to the stomal therapist nurse. I could get you some, no charge, just PWE (we don't pay for anything for ostomies). I feel for you. Mine are not bad, but I have seen worse. Are they like your insides being twisted? Mare-mooza, you truly need hope, real hope matey. Leave me a message if you want to sort something out. Pain killers can't be the only solution. Try another GP. I am taking pain meds now, so I am writing with one eye working. Let me know.
lottagelady

Hi there - tried to answer this earlier but it wouldn't let me for some reason?

I have a huge hernia which is supported by a delightfully sexy support garment built especially for me by the NHS in the UK - NOT! The progression of yours sounds just like mine, having to support it whilst walking etc. ....... it has been much better with the support, but my hernia is still very painful - it has had a massive impact on my spine as I have had it for the last 5 years, which now means my mobility is really quite restricted and painful.

I have mentioned this in the forum before but couldn't find my piccie of the lovely thing I wear to keep body and soul together .... rats! Have a search through the forum and you may come across it!
Hope you find something to suit!
Rach xxx

goldengirl

Thanks for the advice and support...will do some checking out...God bless...xoxo Fran

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
butterfly48
Sorry you're going through all this. I too have had colon cancer twice, and before my ileo operation, I had many hernia repairs, so I know what it is like to have a hernia. Did you get the hernia due to lifting a certain weight or straining yourself, or is it because of your diet? Have the doctors or nurses ventured in explaining why? Or is it like in the past with me, poor surgery? I am really afraid myself this could happen to me. What I have found is that by wearing a thicker panty and by cutting a slot on the front side to put the bag through really seems to hold my stoma and stomach in, and it's easier to get to the bag for emptying. Good luck, Butterfly48.
Past Member

Hi....where have you been my friend? My computer had a virus and I lost your info and was not able to send you a message. I was only able to send winks. I did that in hopes that you would reply. I have not heard from you for a while and have become very very worried. Can you please respond to me so I know you are ok?

xoxo
Irene