Stoma skin irritation: Need advice!

Replies
Views
loren4life

After 7 years of extremely healthy stoma skin, I have now developed some redness around my stoma and it's kinda sore. Any experienced words of wisdom out there on how to deal with this? Yes, I have heard that fecal material can aggravate our skin. I've just been blessed for seven years and haven't had to learn about this condition. I appreciate your response. Loren

butterfly48
Hi, I am almost a year with my ileo, from research I think it all boils down to the food you eat. If you eat food that is too acidic, that turns your body acidic and what comes out of your stoma into your bag may give a burning result.
You could be eating the same foods that you always have, but as you know, the food has changed so much, not for the better. My system reacts better when I eat smaller meals and drink alkaline water (high pH water). I wish I could say eat salads, but as you know, we have all been told not to eat lettuce or salad (vegetables) which my body has been accustomed to for many years before this procedure. I also take my herbs and vitamins along with green tea.
Also, you may want to take digestive enzymes and acidophilus.
It could also be your prep situation - I use nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream USP (a prescription cream) before I put the convex on, along with the paste, the powder, and Hy-Tape (pink tape) you can purchase with your normal supplies. I think also the weather has a lot to do with it too. After 3 days, my bag is worn out - so when I replace it, I always clean the inside rim of the convex and usually it will last 7 to 8 days before I have to change everything. Hope your situation gets better - Butterfly48
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
celtic

CAVILLON....This is just the best cream ever...It puts a film around your skin, therefore protecting it...I work as a midwife and back in the UK we used it for babies who were born to drug users....When they withdraw, they get terrible sore bottoms with diarrhea, etc...This stuff was just brilliant...Give it a try..

mooza
And there is stoma powder 25510 tip powder on skin. Blow excess of. I also use some 3344E Loren yeah Callion wipes. My skin plays up as well, sweety. Grr or Cavillon wat Celic said, but I use wipes. They are in a box, you get 30 in it. I do some (vol. work) down here in Melbourne, so I know the product codes and use and try most of the products. I don't use any creams. Ileo the pouch does need to stick on, so I mostly clean the area with only water if possible and tissue dry. And if I need to sprinkle 22510 powder, blow residue. Sorry if I spell wrong. Little wipes of 3344E pouch on rub my hand over the wafer, but STN if you're not sure. Xxok me lovely, cheers. I have had my stoma from right side over the left side, so I watch my skin like a hawk. Skin gets a bit frail. Cheers, Loren xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
california nurse
Hiya, I agree with Gutenberg's advice re: the Adept rings to help keep effluent off your skin - the ring works great. (And thanks for the tip about the hair dryer, Ed - I hadn't heard that one before.) You may have a fungal infection from the moisture contact with your skin - do you see any little red dots at the edge of the irritation? Those satellite lesions are a sure sign of candidiasis. Candidiasis is easily and quickly treated with antifungal powder that you can find in with other foot powders at the drug store. Put a little in your hand, rub it into the skin, and apply your appliance (or ring) on top. If used sparingly and rubbed completely into the skin, the powder doesn't affect adhesion at all. My husband, who has had his ostomy for 6 years, didn't believe me at first; now he wouldn't be without his Desenex powder (the brand most readily available in our neck of the woods). Hope this helps, Cil (ET)
whcjnr

I've had an ostomy for almost 7 years and I've been irrigating for almost 3. About the only thing I use for my irritated skin is Smith & Nephew protective wipes, and I feel I need more protection for my skin as well as something to extend the life of my appliance. Since I've been irrigating, I'm lucky if I get 3 days between appliance changes due to leakage around the seal. I'm wondering if I can use the Desenex in conjunction with the protective wipes to form a longer-lasting seal; for example, when I'm changing the appliance, which should I apply first, the powder or the protective wipes? Do I wait for any length of time or do I apply one right after the other? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Immarsh
Hi, I use the same protective wipes, and have found that it's best if allowed to dry completely before putting on your wafer. I also use stomahesive powder, around the edges of the stoma after the wipe dries. I put stomahesive paste around the bottom rim of my moldable flange, but I'm going to be trying out the Eakin seals from Convatec.

Good luck.
Immarsh
Hi Loren,

Sorry to hear about your irritated "tush". You've been lucky to escape it for so long. I've always had intermittent irritations, and although I knew it was possible, I could never connect it to specific foods. I think it's more about the amount of digestive acid in one's system, and about the "fit" of your flange. When I was very active, sometimes the wafer would pucker or slip and allow seepage. Sometimes, I would unexpectedly get a burning "itch" and took off the wafer just to "check it out". These days, I just use more protective barriers. Convatec's modable wafer goes right up to the stoma. I also use stomahesive paste and powder, which I find have a healing quality. I am going to try out the Eakin seal to see if that helps, especially under the stoma where waste can collect.
Everyone seems to have good ideas, so try them out. But if you find that you get little white, painful "blisters", be aware of Pyoderma Gangrenosum, which is ulcers (ulcerative colitis) on the skin.

Good luck.
stomafart

I agree with Celtic. I change my 'Privvy purse' daily. After washing the area around the stoma, I then dry thoroughly where I have washed and then apply Cavilon which is on a stick around the stoma area and beyond and then apply my bag. You can get Cavilon either on a stick, swab or spray. It protects the skin under the bag and covers the skin so well and aids the bag to stick better and gives me so much confidence. The only leak I have had is when the poo pancakes under the stoma but this rarely happens. I would recommend Cavilon to ALL stoma bag wearers.