Four Weeks Post-Ileostomy: Retail Therapy Success!

Replies
Views
MrsO
Hi all

Big day today. Today it is four weeks since I had my ileostomy and I was desperate to go out to somewhere other than the corner shop. So to celebrate 'my accessory's' four-week birthday, my wonderful parents took me to town so I could go shopping... It was so tiring that I came home and slept for about 2 hours. Made it to four shops at a snail's pace but it was nice to just go out and do something normal.

There are so many of us out there with an 'ostomy' that I found myself looking at other people wondering if they had one... May have been a giveaway that I have one because I kept checking it with my hand!!

I found myself very paranoid that someone would bump into me and it'd hurt but was quite lucky. If you have a leg in plaster, people can see there is something wrong but with this when it's hidden with clothes nobody knows. Still, it was nice to be out walking around amongst other people, having my accessory is like having a little secret... nobody knows what I have hidden..

My belly is still a bit bloated at the moment so I'm not wearing the clothes I did before but did manage to treat myself to a couple of very pretty new tops. I can't wait to wear some of my other clothes but for now, I can wear what I bought today - it'll be nice to wear something at home now that isn't a pair of PJs.

It's amazing to think how much better I've got in the last four weeks. I know I still have a long way to go but feeling really positive about it today. I owe a lot to my friends and family, today has been a good day, but I know that they are there for me on good days and bad.

Hope everyone is well.

Mrs. O
Past Member

When I first had my ileostomy, I thought I could spot someone with an ostomy a mile away, lol. A few days ago, I was out shopping and someone was staring at me. I was thinking, "Why do you keep looking at me?" Then, when I got back to the car, I found out one of the buttons on my shirt was undone, lol. He must have had a good view of my bag, lol. Maybe he had one as well? You never know!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi, I too felt the same. I even thought people had x-ray eyes and could see straight through me, lol. But it's natural to think that way. It's something you just have to get over, it's not easy but you get there in the end. Thank you for sharing this with us. Take care, Ambies. x

Past Member

Great first step!!! You go girl!!! We all felt self-conscious and afraid in the beginning. I was sure there must be some kind of beacon from my abdomen, smell or obvious bulge, but.... you know, no one seemed to notice or care. I got no special attention, courtesy, stares or disgusted looks. In fact, I just blended in as always, whewwwwwwww... what a relief!! That's when it occurred to me, it was no different than wearing a Kotex or tampon. It's personal. Dress appropriately, empty when needed, check for possible leaks (just like you would on your period), and hold your head up... you are still the beautiful bride in the photo!!! BEG

gutenberg

I guess we all go through a time when we think everyone is looking at us because they can see the bulge but it doesn't take long to get by that sort of thinking, now, I find that every pharmacy I go into I have a habit of checking out their ostomy supplies and know for sure there are lots of us, Ed

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mystified

I guess I really got upset when I was in Walmart buying a few things and needless to say, the things that I needed were all relatively close to the pharmacy. Thank God for that because I had to stop and ask the clerk behind the counter where the ladies' room was. I just hated it when I was getting wetness running down my leg when I was out. Barbie (Mystified)