Life-saving ileostomy brings joy and new opportunities!

Replies
Views
Franicaa

Ok. I am in for a very positive blog right now! Life keeps getting better and better and it's all thanks to my life-saving ileostomy :D

Firstly, I have been able to go out clubbing 2 weeks in a row thanks to my job and health. I'm finally healthy enough to work and earn some money, and I'm actually healthy enough to spend it...not via online shopping either! I'm getting stronger and stronger every day and had my final appointment with my surgeon. He was so happy with how well I looked and how much better I'm doing that he's happy to see me if and when I need him in the future which is great! I'm putting the weight back on so I no longer look like a skeleton in a dress and I'm just generally on a health high! :)

Today is also the day that I've decided, boys aren't all that bad. I know I'll probably have a really bad experience next time, but up to this date I've told 3 boys about my ileostomy. Just because our friendship has led to us getting closer and opening up more and all 3 of them have reacted in the same way. "That's not even a big deal I can't believe you would worry about telling me that. If people can't see you for your true beauty then they don't deserve you." Wow. Now for 3 lads aged between 17-20 I think that's pretty mature...just a shame I'm not looking to any of them for a boyfriend right now. Sod's law hey?! Plus who knows, maybe in the future when we're even closer friends and I am looking for more they will be there?

Another positive thing is that I will (hopefully) be meeting an ostomate (from this very site) quite soon! February time I think, which I'm really excited about! I get on so well with them, I think we're like long lost twins or something because we seem to be on the same wavelength with most things. I just hope all goes well in person, which I'm sure it will. Only time will tell.

Well...this is just a short one, I just had to let out my burst of huge positive energy before I crashed and slept :)

Hope this cheers up all of you who are feeling down x

Past Member

Hi Fran, thanks for sharing your positivity with us. Reading all this has just lifted my spirits, as I've just had a fall and hurt my big toe and foot. Lol, tripped over a wire in the house, so I'm trying to be creative with my poetry right now. You never know, you could be my next inspiration for a poem. Anyway, back to your blog. I'm so pleased all is working out well for you, and that you're meeting someone from this site. I hope it works out okay. We often wonder why we are given this kind of thing to cope with, i.e., a bag. I have too, but I've come to the conclusion that most of us who have endured it are usually strong-minded and have the courage to carry on no matter what, and you are one of them. There have been times when your blog has been about trials and pain and suffering, but you never fail to mention the good things in life you're experiencing. It's really good to read the progress that you're making. I, for one, feel lifted just by reading today's blog. Thanks again for lifting my spirits. Good luck in the future. You deserve to find the real love of your life. Take care, Ambies...xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Good on you Franicaa!! It's always good to read your posts and when you've got such a positive outlook, it makes the world of difference. And for everyone on here, I'm sure your good vibes make such a difference. Like Ambies said, thanks so much for raising our spirits!! Take good care, Colm

Franicaa

Oh wow, you guys are so lovely! :) Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for reading :)

Steve8906

'Like' :) x

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi, thanks for your positive outlook on things, especially as I'm having a tough day! I had my surgery for an ileostomy 2 weeks and a day ago, lol, so it's all new to me. I had my first mishap today, so that's a bit scary! How long since your op? You've made me feel positive about my future, even though I am loving life more now already because I've got rid of my horrible colitis! X

Franicaa

I got a temporary ileostomy on July 10th, 2009, a J-pouch with loop ileostomy on July 23rd, 2010, and then a permanent ileostomy on September 9th, 2011, and I've been so happy since :) I wish you all the best, and don't worry, I'd say you get used to the mishaps, but they're always going to happen at the worst time, but you learn to cope :) Yeah, at least you're not planning your days around using the toilet anymore :) x

bag_n_drag

Franicaa - you are so cute and positive! I've been following your progress and it seems that you are well on your way to life and all it entails! I'm so happy for you! And ya know, boys are not so bad....well, some of them are so keep your radar up ;).....remember when dealing with the male species and your ileo and such, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind, to quote the immortal Dr. Seuss! Please keep us posted on your progress....you are a ray of sunshine in a wonderful, young adult package....a gift to us all! Go out there and live your life for all it's worth! Darla

Yukon steve

Now that I have had to live with an ileostomy myself, I look at others in a totally new way and know who my true friends are by the way they would not even come to visit me. So far, several of them have tried to visit since the reversal, and I have decided they aren't worth having as friends if they think I was a freak just because I had to go to the bathroom all the time and my bowels made loud noise most of the time. So cheer up, it is them that are freaks, not us.