Though physically we’re not now close

there seems no need to be morose.

Because of all the things we had

the loss of one thing’s not that bad.

For every other part of life

upholds with me and with my wife.

B. Withers 2013

Mrs.A

Where one thing is lost, other things can be found.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pearlita

I too have lost this with my husband but for different reasons. I had massive surgery and reconstructive surgery due to a tumor. But we are still together. We are coping. It has been 4 years since surgery. I have been married for 28 years and my husband nursed me through chemo, radiation, and then the surgery. We don't have the exact relationship we once had, but we have another kind. We still love each other, still hold hands, and still are each other's best friend. Sometimes, as Mrs. A says, when you lose something, other things can be found. Your wife may not know how to approach things. The important thing is talking about it. Try to talk about everything. It's an adjustment for her too. I know that at first I just thought it affected me, but that isn't true. It affects my husband too. You talk about self-esteem. You are the same person. Don't let this define who you are or who you can be. My colostomy is not who I am. It is just an inconvenience. Take care.

Bill
Hello Mrs A. - A great caption!and hello Perlita: Thank you for your post and sharing your experience as it helps to know how others manage. Fortunately my wife and I have been through this type of thing before when she had her hysterectomy and had some difficulty in coming to terms with the loss and the new status. We gradually got through that blip in self-confidence and remained close in other ways until the time was right for a more 'normal' relationship. This situation does not seem to be too different from that and I am sure that given time and no pressure that our relationship will drift back to how it was. Having been married for 48 years I don't think a little thing like a stoma will come between us in any significant way. Best wishesBill
iMacG5

Congratulations on your longevity and mutual attitudes. Sometimes we could put so much energy into what we think is so important and we miss what could be way more wonderful. You guys get it. Mike

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Thanks iMacG5. You got it in one! Interestingly I'm compiling some 'two-line rhymes' at present and your comment will be ideal to translate into one on those. so thanks for your input. Best wishes Bill