I waited so long for this day
but what was wrong I couldn’t say.

I ponder now on this subject
and wonder how in retrospect
someone like me would know it all
so I or we could make this call.

B. Withers 2013

stevebeme

I have decided to go back to an ostomy bag. 5 years with a J-pouch is unbearable. The incontinence depresses me immensely. Do you have a J-pouch?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Bill. It's always a pleasure reading your stuff and Steve's contribution is so helpful. I'm happy some folks have successfully reversed their toilet process to the way it was but not everyone can have that done without other complications. Here's what I think we need to understand: an ostomy is not the worst thing in the world and we can learn to do just about everything we did before. It might be easier physically than emotionally and psychologically but life can continue very effectively, productively and we can even have some fun. Bill, I think you made the right decision. Steve, I know you did. Respectfully, Mike

Angelicamarie

Hello Bill, good post. Something that each day an ostomate is faced with. However, each one of us has faced different situations. Some can't and some can. I wish all well whatever choice they make. Good luck! Angelicamarie

Bill
Hello stevebeme. No, I don't have a Jpouch. I have a colostomy and irrigate. However, I can empathise about the incontinence as I was faecally incontinent for years before I opted for the surgery. What I can cay is that even when I was using a bag, it was so much easier managing from the front rather than trying to manage the anal incontinence.
Best wishes
Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Hello Mike.
You are so right about having a stoma NOT being the worst thing in the world. I was helped in my decision making because I HAD A PROLAPSE which they operated on several times without success. This made me realise that I needed a new approach to manage the incontinence and alleviate the dreadful pain. The stoma did the trick on both counts.
As for the emotional and psychological aspects, this is something that really needs to be addressed as an integral part of the post-surgical process as it can lead to some serious problems if it is not dealt with at an early stage.

Best wishes
Bill
Bill
Hello Angleicamarie.
Thank you for your post and, as usual you are spot-on regarding us all facing these problems form different circumstances and differing perspectives. The choices remain very personal but it is useful to be able to have an insight into other people's deliberation processes.
Best wishes
Bill
Goobie

I am currently not having issues with leakage as I'm getting one full week between changes.

Bill
Hello Goobie.
A full week without changes sounds great and let's hope it continues
Best wishes
Bill