Last Minute Bridesmaid: Overcoming Pain for a Memorable Wedding!

Replies
Views
pebbles2121

So on October 12th, I was getting ready for my sister's wedding with my daughters. The day before, my sister had told my mom that her sister told her she wasn't going to be in her wedding. So my sister was stressing out about what to do. So I told my mom to let her know if she needed anyone, I could do it for her. She said thanks, but her sister was going to do it. So the day of the wedding, I was helping my daughter get the cake ready. My sister had called and said she really needed me to be a bridesmaid since her sister bailed. So I rushed to get the dress, knowing we're close in size, just hoping it fit properly since it was tailored to her. We did my hair and makeup and my mom's, then left to buy a pair of shoes. Since the ones I had got for my other dress didn't work, lol. We didn't make it in time for the party bus trip. We did make it on time to get dressed with everyone else. The dress fit and was just a little big, which was fine with me. Especially having a stoma, I never like a tight-fitting dress. So I took her sister's place, even though I was in pain. I stood up there in heels for the two-hour ceremony, which made my legs want to collapse and made me sweat. I just smiled and was honored to be a part of her beautiful wedding. Then when we were done, we had to say goodbyes and have pics done at the church, then by the lighthouse beach. It was a very cold fall day, but I wasn't going to let that pain get me down or anyone else for that matter. Especially my sister when she had a meltdown. Both of her Maids of Honor and all of the Bridesmaids and everyone else left her alone. She had no one to help her with her dress or carry her stuff. So I stepped in and helped her, and I got her taken care of. Then the fun began as we got to the reception. We got to walk in and settle down and just let loose. They had some nice champagne, and some amazing toasts were made. We were dismissed to eat, and half of us ran to the bathroom, including me. I went to the bathroom, and next thing I knew, I had a little girl in the stall with me. Then there was a mom's head under the stall trying to get her out, and she saw me peeing. There was whispering about me, but not very softly. I heard them, but I really didn't care and didn't even let it get me down. Again, my bag and stoma are my lifesavers, so I've got no shame!! When we sat down to eat, we got to talk amongst ourselves and just laugh. We had a great time just laughing and telling stories about the bride and groom. Then it was the dances, and we did the couple dances. I had a great time, and all the guys were making girls laugh, trying to make us spin. Then we went to leave after that dance, but my sister, the bride, wouldn't let us. Then the DJ played this song that had a line dance to it, which none of us knew, so we just looked like a bunch of dancing fools because only three of them knew it. The rest of us just faked it and just had a blast doing so. So even with my Ostomy, I was able to do all of these things. Even through the pain with only one small glass of champagne. I just smiled through the pain and lived life and laughed through it. Life is what you make of it. Remember that there's always someone who has it worse than you. So get out there and celebrate life, yourself, and your stomas. Rock those stomas!!!

Bill
Thank you pebbles for a lovely story. Your are an inspiration to everyone who needs to overcome their own problems to help others in their hour of need.
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

What a great story, Pebbles! Your choices came from the heart and not your ostomy! Just like it should be!
Puppyluv

lovely

I liked your story, sometimes people just don't understand some of the things we go through.

PETey.13

Love the story. Yes, we all have to live, love, and laugh. :-)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
NewlifeVictoria

What a beautiful thing you did, Pebbles. I'm proud of you for taking the time to step into something that wasn't easy to do, and you did it! Wow, awesome story! I'm with you, I would do the same thing!! Hope you're doing well!! Victoria