Phantom Rectum Syndrome: Seeking Others with Similar Experiences

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Toppermost

Hello Ostomates

I recently joined this site and sent out a request to hear from anyone who was double bagged like me, i.e. has a colostomy and urostomy. Given the rarity of that situation, it was nice to hear from a couple members who could fully relate. It's not my intention to brag about how special I am, but now I want to put out another call for a condition that is apparently even more rare. It's called phantom rectum and it's as bad as it sounds. It's just like a person having a leg amputated, then feeling pain in the leg that's no longer there. So every pain imaginable that a rectum could cause is created in my brain and it feels 1000% real. I will spare you the nasty details but the pain in combination with the location made it feel like torture. Eventually, by chance, I was referred to a neurologist pain dr. who tried an off-label opiate use to treat heroin addicts. It helped, then with the addition of smoking marijuana (legal in Canada), I got to a point where life was worth living again. So if there is anyone else out there who has experienced my misfortunes, check in. Maybe my unusual combination of meds might be useful to others.

Best in the new year

Toppermost

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Sorry, you went through that. Happy New Year.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

2 peas in a pod. ????

Toppermost

Hey Pablo. Here's some bagger confessions! I sort of remember being a kid and my parents telling me about a relative of ours having a shitbag. Totally gross! All these years later and having them myself, it's still gross. I don't think I'll ever stop disliking getting up close and personal with my own crap! Once I thought of how badly I could freak people out by wearing my bags out on a bus/subway, especially a clear bag.

Toppermost

Spell check gave you a new name, Panko.