Hiking with an Ostomy Bag in Cold Weather

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for hiking with an ostomy bag in cold weather.
Ice

Evening all, I'm from upstate New York and winter is coming!! Just got an ostomy bag a week ago and was wondering if anyone has hiked in cold weather with their bag. I mean cold, like 30 degrees below zero! Worried it may freeze?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Smilealot

Nope, it has never frozen, even though I was so cold and could hardly set up camp.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ice

Awesome! Sounds like you went for multiple days, but I would only be out for 7-9 hours for a day trip.

Bees

An ostomy bag shouldn't freeze as it's held close to the body. If it does freeze, you've got bigger problems.

xnine

Other body parts will freeze first

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bees

To prevent other body parts from freezing, take a partner. I'll let you figure it out.

AlexT

Bag won't freeze. I was out duck hunting last winter with wind chills well below zero. The only issue I had was my chest waders froze so I couldn't lower them to empty my bag. Glad nobody was around to watch my dumbass fight that. ???????????

HenryM
Never had a problem hiking at high altitudes in Utah winters.
ron in mich

Hi all, here in N. Mich., we get a lot of snow, so out come the snowshoes. When you're walking with them on, you get quite sweaty, so no chance of the bag freezing up.

Ice

Thanks, you are correct. I snowshoe also and it uses a lot of energy. I've stripped down to a t-shirt because I was sweating so much even though the temps were well below freezing.

rusty1058

I would ask the same about getting in a hot tub, does the adhesive melt???

xnine

No, lots of people on here do it. If it is tight on land, it will be tight in the hot tub. Just follow the rules.

HenryM
There are rules in a hot tub??
xnine

Isn't it only 10 minutes at a time. No diving. No food.

cartercharlotte983

Hello, my name is Charlotte and I have an ostomy bag. That's a lot of stuff to get used to, but I thank God that I'm still alive. I just can't wrap my little head around what happened to me. I'm only 55, but I thank God that I'm still living and I enjoy reading some of your guys' comments. I also just joined on here, but I just don't have the money to pay for that to become a member. So even though I'm not a member, I'm here and I would like to talk to someone. If you're out there, talk to me. Love everyone, even though I don't know you, but I still love you.

cartercharlotte983

Does anybody know a good soap or body wash to use? Because I'm about tired of Dial soap. Is there a body wash I can use? Can somebody let me know something? Thank you.

xnine

Cartercharlotte983 start a new topic to get results. I just use my shampoo.

rosebud621

The bag will be fine but you'll be frozen