Colostomy at 54: Maintaining an Active Lifestyle

Replies
Views
Parentemv68

27 years post injury. C7 quadriplegic. Been fighting bowel issues for several years. Thinking of getting a colostomy. What do I do! I'm 54 and active. I want the ability to swim and use my handcycle. Is this possible after ostomy/colostomy?

Thank you

CrappyColon

An ostomy shouldn't stop you from doing either of those things.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

Only you can decide whether to have a colostomy or not, but if it's to improve your quality of life, there's only 1 option in my view!

Anything you can do now, you will be able to do with a colostomy.

Cplumber

I'm a plumber and do everything: swim, bike, fish, work, ski, 4-wheel, camp, eat
I do it all

gentlejohn

Assuming you have sufficient finger and hand dexterity, it is a reasonable thing to do.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Parentemv68
Reply to Ben38

Where is the best location for stoma. I don't have any type of disease. Just a slow-moving gut.

Thank you

Hisbiscus
Reply to Parentemv68

If you are asking about the location on the body, they usually do an assessment on you before the surgery happens at your pre-op appointments. They ask where you wear the waist in your pants, they will have you sit, stand a few times, and totally assess looking for dips in the belly, etc., and then mark you with a marker in the spot they know will work best for you.
If you're asking about the location in terms of hospital or surgeon, then I would suggest the Cleveland Clinic Foundation Colorectal Surgery Department in Cleveland, Ohio if you can get there.