Yes or No

Replies
Views
Parentemv68

27 years post injury. C7 quadriplegic. Been fighting bowel issues for several years. Thinking of getting a colostomy. What do I do! I'm 54 and active. I want the ability to swim and use my handcycle. . Is this possibleafter ostomy/ colostomy?

Thanks you

Bill

Hello Parentemv68.
I can envisage no reason at all why you should not be able to swim and use a handcycle after you get an ostomy.

I refer you to my recent post with a link to an article about a lady that has just set a new world record time for running the London marathon with and ostomy. If she can achieve this sort of thing, then surely anything is possible?

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Yes

tmn68

There should be no reason you can't! I am 54 and really enjoy working out and going to the river,(I love water sports) , I also went skydiving. Oh yeah, I'm also in a wheelchair permanently - you are only limited by your mind I say

w30bob

Hi Parent,

I hate giving blanket answers due to all the details involved in everyone's own situation, so I'll give my usual answer, which is maybe. I say that because normally swimming and operating a handcycle wouldn't seem to be affected by having an ostomy. But your specific body type can have an effect on things. Those who have loose or uneven skin where the stoma is placed have sealing issues with their barrier. What I'm trying to say, but don't want to just come right out and say is if you're fat and have loose or flabby skin or skin folds where they place the stoma you're going to have sealing issues if the seating position of your handcycle makes you sit upright, rather than laying down. Swimming with an ostomy barrier that you're having trouble adhering to your body won't be fun either. I'm not assuming you're overweight or have loose skin on your abdomen, just saying if you do you're gonna want to talk to an ostomy nurse for his/her opinion as to whether you might have barrier sealing issues with your specific body.

Not related to swimming or cycling, but just dealing with the day to day care and feeding of an ostomy.........you mention C7. If the mobility and dexterity of your fingers is compromised to the point where you can't manipulate the barrier and bag you're going to need someone to help you with your barrier and/or bag changes.....maybe even emptying your bag. I don't know if that's something you consider a non-starter, a minor inconvenience or have no issue with.

From a health standpoint an ostomy can be a great solution for some folks, but physically can be tough to manage. So it depends on what your "bowel issues" specifically are and what the prognosis would be if you got an ostomy. Does it 'cure' the issue or just buy you some time? And on the physical side......is an ostomy something you can handle the care and management of? ;Sounds like you need to have some serious conversations with your Gastro and Colorectal Surgeon and an ostomy nurse.........because while it's easy to say an ostomy is great and won't affect what you want to do.......the devil is in the details, as usual. So sorry I don't have a simple answer for you, but neither your condition nor the question are really that simple.

;O)

bob

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister