Sensation of Food/Gas Movement in Intestines

Replies
Views
Danno

Hey all!

Is it normal to feel food/gas/whatever travel through your intestines?

I seem to feel a sensation on my left side of like food or gas traveling through and a few seconds later it will come out of my stoma.

It doesn't hurt or feel that uncomfortable, it's just annoying sometimes. Especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. My stupid brain focuses on the sensation/movement and keeps me awake. Lol

Not something I ever felt pre-surgery. I do drink a lot of carbonated drinks so my assumption is trapped pockets of gas or something?

Anyways. Not important just curious

Rose Bud 🌹

It happens a lot to me too, especially with milk or coffee, and I've only felt it since having an ostomy. Like you've said, it doesn't hurt, but feels like a little alien crawling its way out sometimes. It's just gas and how your body responds to it now. (At least that's what the doc told me)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

I feel everything on the right side. Not sure why. I asked the GI Dr if it was weird and his response was "Well, it doesn't raise any concern." Sometimes it reminds me of what it feels like when a baby is kicking from the inside when he/she is small enough to move around a lot but not big enough to kick a rib out of place yet. I told the doctors sometimes it feels like the wild west in my abdomen as stuff still moves around a lot. I'm back in physical therapy and my small intestine acts up a lot after PT, and I'm feeling where every muscle/fascia tissue they cut through is under the surface. You're newer out from surgery than me, so still lots of healing going on under the surface too.

Dogen\'s bag

You are not alone. I feel a tightening of the stomach and an odd "push" and know the fun will push through within a few seconds if it hasn't already.

I liken it to a warning bell or a truck backing up and beeping. :-)

Beth22

Me too, I can feel it travel and sometimes all the way through.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Danno
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

That's so funny. For the most part, I don't even think about it. It's when I concentrate on it that I get annoyed. Just waiting for that little bubble of air to come out. Haha

Danno
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Yeah, I'm still pretty new to things but sometimes I get a little tingle or pain sensation on the way out. I get that when things are very thick.

Danno
Reply to Beth22

Such a weird feeling.

TerryLT

I totally get the same thing. I'll feel (and sometimes hear) something gurgling through on my left side and then moments later, out it comes on my right side.

Terry

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

Yep. I'll get a slight stomach ache and a few minutes later....the Play-Doh factory starts. Only happens if I'm gonna have a good amount of output. Otherwise, I usually feel my bag and say....huh, I pooped. &zwj

Pharmgirl
Reply to AlexT

Lol, Play-Doh factory, that's a great comparison, love it!

Sunshine Girl

I have never put all these weird sensations to words - thank you!...and me, too. After reading so many responses, I figure I must be (somewhat) normal! :)

Danno
Reply to AlexT

Hahaha. Same

Danno
Reply to Sunshine Girl

It's comforting to know there are some things we all have in common. Things that don't cause concern.

Wantstoliveagain

Sounds like you could be starting with adhesions. Two and a half years ago, I had the op. I started with what you are describing. It only got worse... Lots of CT scans and MRI telling me nothing. There finally opened me up two weeks ago, and I was full of them and organs stuck together. They burned them away... The worst thing is they are returning and bad.