Effect of Weight Gain on Stoma Function

Replies
Views
Danno

I was just thinking. Since surgery, I went from a flat stomach to a decent pudge (only on the lower abdominal area/side pudge) (almost 4 months out).

It's been a while since I've been this squishy.

I'm curious. What happens to your stoma when the space between your inner abdominal wall and your stoma site grows further apart (fat)?

Maybe I'm thinking about it weird, but isn't the intestine stitched to the inner and outer wall?

If so, does it stretch? Does it suck more out of your body to make up the difference? Ha

I have noticed my stoma got slightly longer with some discomfort, but I'm thinking it's just the feeling of getting fat?

Weird question? Haha

Definitely felt nicer having a stoma with a flat stomach. Need to get back there.

CrappyColon

Your questions make me laugh (sometimes when laughing is appropriate). They're refreshing. I have pictures on my IG and I can tell what weeks there was still swelling. It takes a while to go down and as things settle into place. I asked my surgeon if they built a retaining wall to hold the small intestine in place. I didn't think it was such a weird question, but I ask a lot of questions. Is yours a loop ileostomy? I'm having some laser therapy next week and I've been told the dip the loop ileostomy made won't go away with that. My PT has been breaking up scar tissue during my sessions and it hurts and hurts more later and then feels so much better. I'm surprised with how hard she can push on my muscles and everything be ok. I am also the person saying what muscle are you working on now, can you feel that organ inside me? How do you know it's that organ? What does it feel like etc... &zwj

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
wiljpeters
Reply to CrappyColon

I can relate to the abdominal changes. I was in great shape before the diagnosis, and had a "flatish" stomach. Three years out I now have a muffin top and a below-the-belt pouch. Not attractive at all.

I've never heard of laser therapy for scar tissue. I have a lot since I've had multiple surgeries, a full APR, and two ostomies. Is that covered by insurance?

Danno
Reply to CrappyColon

I have a temporary end ileostomy.

I ask so many weird questions. I also hear about some magical organic mesh that secures your stoma in place to prevent hernias. So confused why this isn't a preventative method vs a solution for a hernia repair.

Danno
Reply to wiljpeters

Yeah. I ate cheeseburgers and pizza every day because it came out easily. And I drank a lot of beer while "exploring" new foods to help with the flow. Plus, I eat a ton. Plus, not as much gym.

This all = fat

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to wiljpeters

I asked what words needed to be said by me in order for the coding to be different for insurance... Think non-cosmetic reasons... pain, itching, hurts to rub against clothing/prohibits what clothing you can wear. I went with "it hurts" ‍

CrappyColon
Reply to wiljpeters

I think you can go the dermatologist route or the plastics route. I'm just working with my dermatologist right now. My friend who was a former Miss PA had a plastic surgeon give her free laser treatments after her last surgery - it's like the business world - looks good for a plastic surgeon to have good results on a former beauty queen.

CrappyColon
Reply to Danno

Shhhh, I'm still in a make-believe world where cheeseburgers are one of the healthiest things I can eat.

Beth22
Reply to Danno

Hi there,

It isn't a preventative message because of infection. You have a higher chance of getting an infection easily.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

Is that why there are always mesh lawsuits by women?

Danno
Reply to CrappyColon

That was my logic for the last 3 months. And chips. Dr's orders to thicken output.

Danno
Reply to Beth22

I see. I am still jealous of those who have one. That would take away 75% of my worries. Minus the infection potential.

CrappyColon
Reply to Danno

I was put on a low FODMAP diet to see if that helps. And I'm supposed to try hypnotherapy at some point to make food appealing to me. So pretty much if it sounds good, I eat it - and that is my current diet. I've been trying to do more lattes/café au laits vs straight coffee to get the calories from the milk.

And when you said magical mesh - my brain made the jump from magical with another M word after it to mushrooms and I wondered what that could help with... mesh makes more sense.

Beth22
Reply to Danno

You just have to be patient and take it easy and learn different ways to move instead of twisting or lifting too much, etc. We are blessed to have other parts of our body to use instead of your abdomen. And hey, if it makes you feel any better, I have two old stoma holes from having to have my stoma relocated, and the third one my stoma is in now...

Ben38

More poo comes out because you're eating more. Lol. Other than that, it just increases your risks of developing a hernia.

Maried

When I was pregnant with my second child, my stomach was large and I developed a large hernia. But I was able to get it repaired. No more grapefruit-sized hernia at this point in time. Better to exercise to keep your muscles strong and keep your weight down.

AlexT

Not much, pooping doesn't discriminate against us fat asses.

imperfect
Reply to Danno

My mesh to repair my hernia exacerbated scar tissue, which has led to chronic abdominal blockages. My surgeon removed as much as he could and replaced it with cadaver tissue!

CrappyColon
Reply to imperfect

Hey, imperfect, when you say cadaver tissue, is that the same as donor tissue?

susiefountain1948
Reply to Danno

Guess fat affects all of us, men and women. I have been plump, Rubenesque (is that a word?), and very thin all while having an ileostomy. My dear hubby loved me at all weights, from 89 pounds to 178 pounds. I lost 50 pounds caretaking for him for 13 years due to Parkinson's until he passed away. I just couldn't eat much and felt nauseated when I tried to eat. After he passed, I met a great man who got me to eat again. Now I have gained 18-20 pounds back! My always flush stoma, oval shape stays the same, just more rounded belly when I gain and flat tummy when I lose weight. I am just glad to be healthy. I have had an ileostomy from UC for 46 years now. It saved my life and I have been lucky enough to have a husband who was okay with my ostomy, and then I found another man who accepts me as I am, stoma and all! So no, my stoma pretty much stays the same all the time, just harder to place a barrier when I have a round belly!

Redondo
Reply to CrappyColon

I don't know what a loop ileostomy is. Can you please explain it.

Redondo

My stoma got larger by 1/8" of an inch. I think this happened because I gained weight.

Redondo
Reply to wiljpeters

Me neither. None of my doctors suggested laser therapy for scar tissue. Only surgery and said that will likely create more. I wonder how they laser it? From the outside?

My scar tissue was causing a lot of pain. The best I found I could help was to get one of those deep massage machines and use it on my pelvic area where I felt the pain. It helped tremendously.

Redondo
Reply to CrappyColon

I used the FODMAP diet to see if it eased the pain. After CT and MRI didn't show anything, my GI did a scope of my small intestine and said it was remarkable, so it's probably not my intestine and likely scar tissue. She told me to slowly go off the diet to see what foods bothered me. I also had an SIBO test to check for bacteria and there wasn't any. So, when I get the pain, which is now thankfully infrequent, I use a handheld massaging device and it takes away the pain. Hope that helps.

SharkFan

I had the surgery after growing a gut. Now you have me wondering what will happen if I lose weight. Another thing to ponder when sipping my next beer.

SharkFan

Danno
Reply to SharkFan

Right? Does it get longer? Haha

Hisbiscus

More of a chance for parastomal hernia so best to try and keep your weight down to normal. Also if you get too big then bag fitting problems if dips appear.
Don't be lifting stuff either because we with stomas have a high chance for hernias. You don't want that or you'll have a big bulge sticking out.

Immarsh

Hi all, weight is a personal issue... and I think it's different for each person. I had a lot of "water weight" when I had my surgery and lost 40+ pounds after surgery at 15. Normal weight for me had been about 125, a little overweight at 12/puberty. Then I went down below 70 lbs in the years I was sick, and I couldn't really exercise. Steroids made me retain water, but after the surgery, that resolved. But a lot of my skin was damaged, stretched out, had stretch marks, or no sensation. I was 20 and 125. After I got married and became pregnant, my lower belly/stoma went through the trauma of weight gain and then loss, but most of my lower belly tightened up. But I was left with a "muffin top" and a lot of stretched out skin under arms, but... breasts. But I went ahead with baby number 2, and although I lost all the baby weight, my body was no longer firm. I joined a gym, and even the professionals were concerned. I have virtually no ability to tighten my lower abs and have developed what looks like a hernia above my waist. That bump is getting larger and larger, but I'm not a good surgical risk due to all the medications. I no longer heal well, so have few options other than to stay active and do the best I can with the muscles that work. Weight continues to be an issue. Best wishes to all. Marsha

BaoBoo

Very aware of hernia, stoma will not get fat, is the same size and just coated with the internal bacteria at all times.
Coughing, laughing, and sniffing need to hold stoma, or I press against the flat wall to stop the stoma accident.

That's how my hand always around my stoma.
Thanks

CrappyColon
Reply to Redondo

So this is a picture from the little handbook I was given when I asked if there were any books/handouts etc that would help me explain what was happening to me to my kids... I think I would have had better luck going over to the children's hospital and asking because this wasn't young kid friendly. With the loop, there are 2 openings... the first is where most everything should empty directly into the ostomy bag, but some stuff manages to make its way into the lower opening, so it was a surprise about 1-2 times a week where 'stuff' would come out the old-fashioned way- by surprise. I mean I was told this could happen and not to be alarmed, but I never actually knew when it would happen.