Unexpected Stool After Colostomy Reversal - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
clair.crowley83

Hi Baggies,

I had a colostomy reversal two weeks ago, and now have a loop ileostomy temporarily. After my surgery, I began to pass rectal mucus after two days. It was brownish-red at the start, then cleared to putty-colored, all normal.

BUT THEN, this morning I woke up with a much more urgent feeling, and when I passed what I expected to be mucus, it felt very firm. On examination, it really seems like I did a poop. It looked, smelled, and had the texture of poop, not mucus.

Has this happened to any of you? Am I going crazy? Should I contact my doctor?

CrappyColon

You're okay.

With the loop, you technically have two little openings in the stoma. So in theory, most stuff will empty directly into the bag. But some stuff will go into the other opening, and if it goes that route, it will exit your body in the traditional way. I really don't know how some stuff I ate made it out the first opening into the second, but it did. I typically had that happen 1-2 times a week. When it does happen, focus on the muscles you're using and work on strengthening them now. It will help your body be more ready for once the process is completed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to CrappyColon

Good answer!!!

Delia

Yes, great answer! I freaked out the first time and called my nurse with pictures. I have motility disorders so it's rare when it happens, but now I play Sia's Unstoppable song because it hurts, takes forever because my muscles don't know how to work, and I consider it a holiday!

I'm sarcastic and I hope I don't offend when I say this, but yes, you were just still full of it. &zwj

Also, the little hole where the stoma is can shoot out mucus or diarrhea so be on guard when changing on a really sick day.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

I'm like ooo oooo I know this one!!!

How are you healing?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to Delia

Between your sarcasm and sense of humor, I think we should be friends.

Delia
Reply to CrappyColon

I can definitely use some! I'd like everyone to know we just became Ostomate Official.

Danno

That's awesome! I think if I did decide to make my ileostomy permanent (which I'm not), I would keep my lower parts to poop out mucus. I love it! Every few days, I feel human for a few seconds as it slides out.

CrappyColon
Reply to Danno

You did decide? Oh! I found a J-poucher for you to talk to, but the screenshot I took is on my phone because I knew I wouldn't remember otherwise. I'll send it to you.

Ebony&Ivory

Yes contact your doctor! I got my ileo in 2017. I initially thought that once everything healed up and I established a routine that all would be fine. For me things will never be the same! I’ve learned to leave well enough alone. I don’t try anything new anymore. Out of the blue my peristomal skin gets irritated and then I have to clear that up. But I’m ok! And you will be too.